Re: [toyota-prius] tinted windows on the prius '04

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Quality of tint film, as well as workmanship, varies widely. They all look good
      when new, but after a few years the differences show up -- this is why I
      strongly recommend letting the dealer coordinate this operation since they will
      know who & what to use.

      My car was done this way, and after 3.5 years of:
      Parking outdoors in the tropical sun,
      Using the rear heater grid almost daily (heavy dew, on for ~20 minutes a day),
      The tint is as perfect as it was when new.

      My son, OTOH, had his done t'other way at about the same time, and it's looking
      more than a bit tired...

      Word to the wise,

      Pete

      James wrote:

      > I'm wondering if tinting is necessary since the car has solar absorbing
      > glass? Does this stop interior fading? Anyway, if you do tint the rear
      > window, be careful if you ever replace the tint years from now (from my
      > experience as the tint ages, the view is distorted, especially on the rear
      > window if you use defroster a lot). I removed the tint in an '87 Camry I
      > owned and removed the defrosting heating elements. I thought they were in
      > the glass, but they're not, they're on the inside surface.

    • Mark Binder
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        we tinted our '01 windows in '02 and it allows us to run the a/c slightly
        warmer, thereby increasing mpg(here in sunny sarasota, the "air-conditioned
        city".).

        mark