Auxiliary Battery

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
      Non-Deep Cell Battery
      Auxiliary Battery original is Cold Cranking Amp's (Max) 272 CCA
      Auxiliary Battery upgrade is Cold Cranking Amp's (Max) 315 CCA

      -------------------------

      I am reseaching, this 12v battery because its a deep cell battery for
      one and charges faster than normal automotive battery, with patent
      technology.

      Exide Technologies - Exide Select Orbital
      http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital.html

      Exide Technologies - Exide Select Orbital 84 (Specifications)
      http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/orbital_84_specs.html

      This is a full color features that includes spec of the Exide Select
      Orbital http://www.exide.com/pdf/orbital_gold_specs_and_features.pdf
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        You might want to include the Odyssey in your investigation - lots of good words
        from users in the sports car crowd, particularly in regard to maximum
        power/minimum space & weight.

        Pete

        Andy wrote:

        > Non-Deep Cell Battery
        > Auxiliary Battery original is Cold Cranking Amp's (Max) 272 CCA
        > Auxiliary Battery upgrade is Cold Cranking Amp's (Max) 315 CCA
        >
        > -------------------------
        >
        > I am reseaching, this 12v battery because its a deep cell battery for
        > one and charges faster than normal automotive battery, with patent
        > technology.
        >
        > Exide Technologies - Exide Select Orbital
        > http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital.html
        >
        > Exide Technologies - Exide Select Orbital 84 (Specifications)
        > http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/orbital_84_specs.html
        >
        > This is a full color features that includes spec of the Exide Select
        > Orbital http://www.exide.com/pdf/orbital_gold_specs_and_features.pdf
        >
        > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • lhatler
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
          The Auxiliary (service) Battery in my 2001 Prius needs replacement.
          Dealer price is $320.00. Any gone through this?
        • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "lhatler" <lhatler@y...> wrote:

            > The Auxiliary (service) Battery in my 2001 Prius needs replacement.
            > Dealer price is $320.00. Any gone through this?

            Take a look at:
          • dldorrance
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "lhatler" <lhatler@y...> wrote:

              > The Auxiliary (service) Battery in my 2001 Prius needs
              replacement.
              > Dealer price is $320.00. Any gone through this?

              It is roughly a $100 do it yourself project. About $90 is the cost
              of the replacement battery. The rest is for miscellaneous items to
              convert the dinminutive Prius battery posts to regular size.

              Here are the details:
              http://home.comcast.net/~dldorrance/battery.html

              Dave '01 Prius (with a new battery)
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                Lots have needed one, but NO ONE that I can recall has paid quite so much! This
                is something that you, or any competent garage, can do for much less cash.
                Search the archives here for more info.

                Pete

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > Lots have needed one, but NO ONE that I can recall has paid quite
                  so much! This
                  > is something that you, or any competent garage, can do for much
                  less cash.
                  > Search the archives here for more info.
                  >
                  > Pete

                  I believe the $320 is what the dealers are charging not just to
                  replace the original battery, but to install a larger battery holder
                  with a larger capacity battery. There is a TSB on this modification
                  which was offered under the Classic Prius basic warranty only for
                  those who provided a credible story for needing a higher capacity
                  battery. The '04 and '05 Prius battery has the higher capacity. As
                  we are beginning to see reports suggestive of '04 Prius battery
                  failures, it is unclear whether this fix is necessary.

                  My take on this issue is this: 12 volt lead acid storage batteries
                  are expendable items. They will eventually fail with use and require
                  replacement. With accidental abuse they will fail earlier. $270
                  (the old replacement price) and now $320 seems a bit steep a price to
                  pay for an auxiliary battery. Since there seems to be no competition
                  to outrageous dealer charges for a new battery, the do-it-yourself
                  option is worth considering.

                  Dave '01 Prius
                • Rod
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                    I actally need to do this on my 2002 and had called the dealer for
                    pricing on the parts in TSB EL014-03 which is the 'Battery Capacity
                    Improvement' bulletin. The parts costs from my dealer were:

                    28800-21190 New battery 152.52
                    04003-23147 New mounting kit 129.60

                    tack on the supposed 1/2 hour of labor and that's probably where the
                    $320 figure their quote comes from.

                    Rod
                    '02 Brilliant Blue
                    '04 Super White

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "lhatler" <lhatler@y...> wrote:

                    > The Auxiliary (service) Battery in my 2001 Prius needs replacement.

                    > Dealer price is $320.00. Any gone through this?
                  • bobjoy4
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                      Hi Peter,

                      When I back up in my 2004 Prius (nearing 20,000 miles) there is a
                      loud peeping sound. This annoys my wife. Is there a way to disable
                      the back-up signal?

                      By the way when my car was new (a year ago) I managed to do a bad
                      thing. I left the car in neutral all night long. Next morning no
                      start. The serviceman summoned to tow the car in to the shop said
                      let's just charge the battery, which is what I did. Problem gone,
                      but I still think the warning signal regarding leaving the car in
                      neutral is not as apparent as I think it should be.

                      Bob Boden
                    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bobjoy4" <bobjoy4@h...> wrote:

                        > Hi Peter,
                        >
                        > When I back up in my 2004 Prius (nearing 20,000 miles) there is a
                        > loud peeping sound. This annoys my wife. Is there a way to disable
                        > the back-up signal?

                        Depends. Is this a North American 2004/2005 Prius (Canada, USA), or a
                        European or Australian 2004/2005 Prius? You can only turn off the North
                        American version.

                        See:
                        http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#reverse
                        http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=948
                        http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=7

                        give it a few tries, you might not get the sequence just right on
                        your first try. be sure to cycle through to the ODO - if it's already
                        on ODO it doesn't count!
                      • bobjoy4
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                          Hi Gang

                          I tried everything then tried the 'Revised Instructions' and, Oh
                          joy!, I was finally able to get the reverse peep turned off.

                          I might mention that the Prius gas mileage seems to be especially
                          good in mountains. In my travel from Redding California up to
                          Florence Oregon (339.4) miles the car took 5.89 gallons of gas. Now
                          if it would just do that on the level.

                          Bob Boden

                          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur"
                          <mrv@k...> wrote:

                          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bobjoy4" <bobjoy4@h...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hi Peter,
                          > >
                          > > When I back up in my 2004 Prius (nearing 20,000 miles) there is a
                          > > loud peeping sound. This annoys my wife. Is there a way to
                          disable
                          > > the back-up signal?
                          >
                          > Depends. Is this a North American 2004/2005 Prius (Canada, USA), or
                          > European or Australian 2004/2005 Prius? You can only turn off the
                          North
                          > American version.
                          >
                          > See:
                          2G/files/Prius_FAQ.htm#reverse
                          > http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#reverse
                          > http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=948
                          > http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=7
                          >
                          > give it a few tries, you might not get the sequence just right on
                          > your first try. be sure to cycle through to the ODO - if it's
                          already
                          > on ODO it doesn't count!
                        • bobjoy4
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                            Hi Michelle,

                            I had to resort to the 'Revised Instructions' but I was finally able
                            to turn off the peeping signal when backing up my 2004 Prius.

                            Thanks for the help. The wife will now be much happier. That peep
                            peep really annoyed her.