Re: My visit to the toyota dealer

  • George Yeager
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2000
      Hmmm. After some thought, maybe not. The cruise requires a "tach"
      signal. Since the Prius uses the gas engine in such a way that
      engine speed is not related to vehicle speed, the cruise actuator may
      get confused.

      I'd say this requires a call to the cruise control manufacturer.

      George

      --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, "George Yeager" <ha7150@c...> wrote:
      > Just a follow-up on the cruise installation. It went fine. Works
      > just like it should. I'd expect the same results in a Prius.
      >
      > George
      >
      > --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, "George Yeager" <ha7150@c...>
      wrote:
      > > David:
      > >
      > > I'm also on this list, although I don't get here often. Yup.
      I'm

    • herman.1@osu.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
        Maybe the odometer or speedometer use or produce some
        repetative pulse signal produced as a function of
        road wheel rotation.

        Paul Herman

        --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, "George Yeager" <ha7150@c...> wrote:
        > Hmmm. After some thought, maybe not. The cruise requires a "tach"
        > signal. Since the Prius uses the gas engine in such a way that
        > engine speed is not related to vehicle speed, the cruise actuator
        may
        > get confused.
        >
        > I'd say this requires a call to the cruise control manufacturer.
        >
        > George
      • George Yeager
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
          Paul:

          I'm sure there is a signal related to wheel speed (VSS). The problem
          (maybe, maybe not) comes in where the engine speed is subject to
          rapid changes unrelated to the VSS. For a cruise control like mine
          requiring a tach signal (engine speed, not wheel speed), that would
          probably result in annoying disengagements. There may be systems
          that will work. That's why I suggested contacting the cruise
          manufacturer before buying. Even then, expect some uncertainty
          because they'll not have seen a Prius (nor an Insight, as I found
          out).

          George