Re: Extended Warranty Worthwhile Question

  • tegb52
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur"
      <mrv@k...> wrote:
      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "amntheflow" <amntheflow@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Hello everyone ... I have a 2002 with 15K on it, still has a year
      left
      > > on the original warranty (3 year warranty exp. Sept. '04). I'll
      > > probably sell this in a few years when the '04 is available as a
      used
      > > car option ... I'm thinking maybe 3 years. I drive approx. 20-25K
      > > /year. I asked at the dealership about an extended warranty and
      I'm
      > > thinking of going with a 6 year 80K one ... I don't have the
      quote in
      > > front of me but I think it was somewhere between $950 and 1,200
      for
      > > platinum coverage; suppose to be a discounted price until the end
      of
      > > December and then "prices will go up". I can't decide if it is
      worth
      > > it for me to purchase this or not ... any thoughts?
      >
      > If it's worthwhile to you, that's a personal decision...
      >
      > The Toyota Extra Care (Extended Warranty) Platinum Plan (only one
      > available for the Prius) can be transferred to another party for a
      $50
      > processing fee, if you do a private sale. If you trade your car
      into
      > a dealership, you cannot transfer the extended warranty, so you are
      > best to cancel it in that circumstance and get a pro-rated amount
      back
      > (based on mileage/time).
      >
      > Here's my default info about the extended warranty:
      >
      > You can buy the Toyota Extra Care (Platinum Plan) from any dealer
      (not
      > just where you bought the car from). If you are the original owner
      and
      > purchased the car new, you can purchase the extended warranty any
      time
      > before 3 years or 36,000miles (from the in-service date), so you
      have time
      > to decide.
      >
      > The best price I've seen discussed on other Prius Yahoo groups is
      $740
      > (+tax) or $735 (unknown tax) for the 7/75,000/$0 deductible
      warranty and
      > $980 (no or unknown tax) for the 7/100,000/$0 warranty, although
      some
      > people have seen less elsewhere...
      >
      > Here are links with details for the above prices:
      >
      > A copy of my extended warranty:
      >
      > More info here:

      http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_index.h
      tml

      I'll put in another good word for Troy. Bought the 7/75,000/$0
      deductible for $685 at the end of October 2003. The transaction was
      quick, easy and no hassle.
    • Troy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2003
        Thanks Michelle, for mentioning me in your posts regarding the Toyota
        Service agreements.

        I noticed however, that you have been posting that the best price you
        have seen is $740.00 for the 7/75/0....Just to let everyone know, I
        have been selling that plan for less than that since I posted my
        offer to the group about a year ago......and there is no tax on
        service contracts here in MA.

        Also, you do not have to be the orginal owner or have purchased the
        car new to qualify. The vehicle just has to be still under the
        original 3/36k factory warranty.

        And one last thing, I recently discovered I can also sell Lexus Extra
        Care plans, I tried it as a test for another member of this group
        that had a Lexus as well as a Prius, and it went through with no
        problems at all.

        Hope you have a wonderful and safe Holiday!

        Troy

        <mrv@k...> wrote:

        > Here's my default info about the extended warranty:
        >
        > You can buy the Toyota Extra Care (Platinum Plan) from any dealer
        (not
        > just where you bought the car from). If you are the original owner
        and
        > purchased the car new, you can purchase the extended warranty any
        time
        > before 3 years or 36,000miles (from the in-service date), so you
        have time
        > to decide.
        >
        > The best price I've seen discussed on other Prius Yahoo groups is
        $740
        > (+tax) or $735 (unknown tax) for the 7/75,000/$0 deductible
        warranty and
        > $980 (no or unknown tax) for the 7/100,000/$0 warranty, although
        some
        > people have seen less elsewhere...
        >
        > Here are links with details for the above prices:
        >
        > A copy of my extended warranty:
        >
        > More info here:

        http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_index.h
        tml
      • fergus97
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2004
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "tegb52" <tegb52@y...> wrote:

          > > More info here:

          http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_index.h
          > tml
          >
          > I'll put in another good word for Troy. Bought the 7/75,000/$0
          > deductible for $685 at the end of October 2003. The transaction
          > was quick, easy and no hassle.

          I have also recently purchased a 7/100,000/$0 warranty from Troy
          Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield (MA). As the other poster said, the
          transaction was quick and simple, so I can recommend buying from this
          dealership. Mr. Dietrich says he is able to sell the warranties at
          these prices only as long as he can attract a certain volume of
          business. He will sell you a warranty no matter where you are (I'm
          in California).
        • phxprius
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2004
            I would add my thanks to and endorsement for Troy Dietrich of
            Greenfield Toyota of Greenfield, MA. I purchased a 7/100,000/$0
            warranty from him via e-mail and a letter. The transaction was
            honest, quick and efficient. So, THANKS TROY.

            Phxprius