Re: My visit to the toyota dealer

  • George Yeager
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2000
      Just a follow-up on the cruise installation. It went fine. Works
      just like it should. I'd expect the same results in a Prius.

      George

    • George Yeager
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2000
        Hmmm. After some thought, maybe not. The cruise requires a "tach"
        signal. Since the Prius uses the gas engine in such a way that
        engine speed is not related to vehicle speed, the cruise actuator may
        get confused.

        I'd say this requires a call to the cruise control manufacturer.

      • herman.1@osu.edu
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
          Maybe the odometer or speedometer use or produce some
          repetative pulse signal produced as a function of
          road wheel rotation.

          Paul Herman

          --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, "George Yeager" <ha7150@c...> wrote:
          > Hmmm. After some thought, maybe not. The cruise requires a "tach"
          > signal. Since the Prius uses the gas engine in such a way that
          > engine speed is not related to vehicle speed, the cruise actuator
          may
          > get confused.
          >
          > I'd say this requires a call to the cruise control manufacturer.
          >
          > George
        • George Yeager
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
            Paul:

            I'm sure there is a signal related to wheel speed (VSS). The problem
            (maybe, maybe not) comes in where the engine speed is subject to
            rapid changes unrelated to the VSS. For a cruise control like mine
            requiring a tach signal (engine speed, not wheel speed), that would
            probably result in annoying disengagements. There may be systems
            that will work. That's why I suggested contacting the cruise
            manufacturer before buying. Even then, expect some uncertainty
            because they'll not have seen a Prius (nor an Insight, as I found
            out).

            George