Re: ICONs "CAR=50WH"

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      meant for the droup (and yes, now I know it's a car/leaf in 2004 ):

      Evan Fusco wrote:

      > Actually, on the '04 it is a car that looks like a leaf. to the
      > original poster, I think you're confusing two different things.
      >
      > Every 5 minutes a bar is posted that shows your average MPG over that
      > 5 minute time period. Overlaying that bar you may or may not see some
      > little green cars. Each car represents the amount of energy you
      > regenerated (50Wh/car). If you spent a lot of time braking or
      > coasting during a particular 5 minute time period you'll have more
      > cars, if you were driving up hill the whole time with no braking or
      > coasting you won't have any cars. That is an independent thing from
      > your MPG, though in many cases the higher your MPG the more cars
      > you'll show just b/c it's more likely you were doing low speed and/or
      > city driving or a long down-hill section where both regen and MPG will
      > be high.
      > --evan
      >
      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@e...>
      > wrote:
      > > bottomline540 wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ref: ENERGY/CONSUMPTION screen display
      > > > What is the object of the CARS ICON=50WH ?
      > > >
      > > > We have notice that our BAR CHART often goes well above the 50KW
      > > > line and sometimes it puts a CAR or 1/2CAR or in some cases NO CAR
      > > > even though the value of the BAR is above the 50 line ???
      > >
      > > It's not a car, it's a STAR! Each one indicates that 50wh has been
      > regenerated,
      > > so there is no specific correlation with mpg but they show up here
      > anyway.
      > >
      > > Pete
    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bottomline540" <bottomline540@y...> wrote:
        > Ref: ENERGY/CONSUMPTION screen display
        > What is the object of the CARS ICON=50WH ?
        >
        > We have notice that our BAR CHART often goes well above the 50KW
        > line and sometimes it puts a CAR or 1/2CAR or in some cases NO CAR
        > even though the value of the BAR is above the 50 line ???

        The ENERGY screen shows you where power is flowing (engine to wheels,
        for example). It does not tell you when your engine is on, though,
        unless the gas engine is providing power to some other item on the
        screen.

        The CONSUMPTION screen tells you several things. 1. On the bottom, there
        is a resettable odometer and the associated cumulative MPG (l/100km) over that
        odometer. Unfortunately, on the 2004 Prius it automatically resets
        itself after filling the gas tank, whereas the classic Prius does not
        do this behaviour (over 25,000miles on my screen, for example).
        2. On the right side, there is a bar telling you the instantaneous
        MPG (or l/100km) for your current driving.
        3. The bulk of the screen shows you a bar chart of your historical
        average MPG (or l/100km) in 5min increments, since you last started the car, up to
        30minutes ago. The most recent 5min increment is on the right-most
        side, and as time progresses it gets pushed to the left as new more
        recent 5min increments are posted. The height of the bar is the
        average MPG (or l/100km in those markets) over just that 5min period.
        4. Overlayed onto the 5min increments bar chart, are little regeneration
        stars. On the classic Prius, it's a little yellow sun or star shape.
        On the 2004 Prius, it's a little green leaf or car shape. Each full
        regeneration star represents 50Wh regenerated (half star = 25Wh). I
        think there's a max of 5 regeneration stars displayed per 5min bar.
        More info about the stars are as listed in the Links > FAQ's section:
        Regeneration Stars
        Great comparison of 50wH stars to everyday energy use.
      • Yoder, Chris
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          I was in my brother-in-law's Lexus RX 330 over the weekend. On the
          page with gas mileage information there are three different numbers:

          Instantaneous Mileage (I think)
          MPG since last fill
          MPG since last reset

          I like the Prius 'consumption' display much better (w/ 5 minute bars),
          BUT would *LOVE* the automatic MPG since last fill *AND* MPG since last
          reset.

          -- Chris Yoder Smog, Just say NO!
          Director, Information Services, DAR Drive electric today.
          chris_yoder@... http://www.its.caltech.edu/~rcy/

          We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
          Sir Winston Churchill