Re: [toyota-prius] Re: high speed interstate driving

  • Dave Haynie
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
      On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:02:52 -0000, "naudamkier" <kdamkier@...> jammed all night, and by sunrise was heard saying:

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Baard Riiber" <riiber@b...>
      > wrote:
      > > I tested my Prius on the German Autobahn (no speed limit) last year
      > > also found it very quick at high speeds. Pretty stable except when
      > > there was a crosswind. I was impressed with the way the Prius was able to
      > > keep up the speed going up inclines at 100 MPH. I'm sure the car has enough
      > > power to go a lot faster.

      Actually, I think the top speed is limited to 100mph/160kph, based on
      the top speed of the engine and MG2 combination.

      > I would love to take my Prius on the Autobahn; the highway patrol
      > over here in the USA don't appreciate the fun of driving at high
      > speeds.

      Well, the 160kph top speed would tend to preclude "high speeds", in
      autobahn terms, though going that fast in a VW Golf may SEEM to be fast. The
      one time I had a decent rental in Germany (a Rover sedan), I did about
      200-210kph on the A7 near Hildesheim and Hannover. I had been that same
      route in a BMW doing 235-240, but someone more experienced with the car
      and the route was driving.

      --
      Dave Haynie | dhaynie@... | Finally NTSC-Free with HDTV!
      Chief Toady | Frog Pond Media | Audio/Video/Hardware/Software Consulting
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003

        > Actually, I think the top speed is limited to 100mph/160kph, based on
        > the top speed of the engine and MG2 combination.

        Yes the speed is limited to 100 mph. I think I read somewhere that it's the
        max. speed of MG1 that's the limiting factor. I'm quite sure the car has
        power for higher speeds.

        > > I would love to take my Prius on the Autobahn; the highway patrol
        > > over here in the USA don't appreciate the fun of driving at high
        > > speeds.
        >
        > Well, the 160kph top speed would tend to preclude "high speeds", in
        > autobahn terms, though going that fast in a VW Golf may SEEM to
        > be fast. The
        > one time I had a decent rental in Germany (a Rover sedan), I did about
        > 200-210kph on the A7 near Hildesheim and Hannover. I had been that same
        > route in a BMW doing 235-240, but someone more experienced with the car
        > and the route was driving.

        Oh yes. I was doing 160 kph (172 on the meter) in the left lane. Saw some
        flashing lights in the distance behind me and changed to the middle lane.
        Two seconds later I was passed by a Porsche that made me feel like standing
        still. He was doing at least 250 mph, probably more.

        Baard
      • Baard Riiber
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003

          I did of course mean 250 kph (or is it kmh?) I sometimes get a little
          confused about kph and mph (in Norwegian we type it km/t). Why can't
          everyone use the same units??? And if everyone on this small planet spoke
          the same language... (I think Norwegian would be a good choice) ;-)

          Baard
        • Lee Hart
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
            > I would love to take my Prius on the Autobahn; the highway patrol
            > over here in the USA don't appreciate the fun of driving at high
            > speeds.

            Actually, they greatly enjoy immensely, and do it regularly. They just
            want to keep it all to themselves! :-)
            --
            Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
            814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 6, 2003
              Actually, all german cars leave the factory with an (nowadays)
              electronically set maximum speed of 240 or 250 km/h (kph). (mercedes,
              porsche, bmw, vw, audi...)

              Which, of course, doesn't mean, that there are a lot of companies in
              germany, who can remove this artificial limit - I think there are some tuned
              AWD mercedes on the autobahn, so that the police can really outrun every
              offender at up to 300-320 km/h...

              And of course a lot of people get themselfes killed when trying these high
              speeds on the nuernburg speedway during public races...

              Nevertheless, a Prius can out-accelerate a mercedes after a construction
              zone (speed limit 80 kph) going uphill at 4% - even if the mercedes driver
              will never believe this... (with his car having something like 150-200 ps,
              whereas the Prius only running with 72...)

              Unfortunately, passing on the right lane is forbidden in europe...

              But doing so will really hurt your milage, you'l´l get something like 8-9
              l/100km (instead of 5-6 l/100km)

              Richard

              > Well, the 160kph top speed would tend to preclude "high speeds", in
              > autobahn terms, though going that fast in a VW Golf may SEEM to
              > be fast. The
              > one time I had a decent rental in Germany (a Rover sedan), I did about
              > 200-210kph on the A7 near Hildesheim and Hannover. I had been that same
              > route in a BMW doing 235-240, but someone more experienced with the car
              > and the route was driving.

              Oh yes. I was doing 160 kph (172 on the meter) in the left lane. Saw some
              flashing lights in the distance behind me and changed to the middle lane.
              Two seconds later I was passed by a Porsche that made me feel like standing
              still. He was doing at least 250 mph, probably more.

              Baard
            • cabbieiam
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2003
                No one is stopping any one from driving over the speed limits,
                which is obviously illegal to do,

                BUT ... among those who do,
                once they see the flashing lights in their rear view mirrors,
                have a choice:
                PULL OVER & DEAL with it,

                or

                FLOOR IT .. Pedal To The Metal ...

                ...Briefly enjoy the High Speed Chase ..

                but be ready for the possibility of a major crash,
                or
                even being shot dead ...

                I know of a PRIUS 2002 owner who regularly reaches 101 MPH
                on his way to pick up his wife from work ...
                he had to speed this high,
                for he just left his girl friend home ...

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2003

                  > Actually, all german cars leave the factory with an (nowadays)
                  > electronically set maximum speed of 240 or 250 km/h (kph). (mercedes,
                  > porsche, bmw, vw, audi...)

                  I think Porsche didn't agree to this so most Porsches can go faster than 250
                  km/h. I've also heard that the new VW Phaeton can be bought without this
                  maximum speed, making the car capable of 280-290 km/h. Pretty wild for a
                  saloon. Think some Ferrari drivers will be pretty surprised when being
                  outrun by something that looks like a Passat.

                  > Nevertheless, a Prius can out-accelerate a mercedes after a construction
                  > zone (speed limit 80 kph) going uphill at 4% - even if the mercedes driver
                  > will never believe this... (with his car having something like 150-200 ps,
                  > whereas the Prius only running with 72...)

                  Yes, the Prius is pretty quick at speeds above 80 km/h. Especially uphill.
                  I'm quite sure it's faster than my old FOrd Taurus 3.8 liter which also was
                  a pretty good hill climber.

                  > Unfortunately, passing on the right lane is forbidden in europe...
                  >
                  > But doing so will really hurt your milage, you'l´l get something like 8-9
                  > l/100km (instead of 5-6 l/100km)

                  Will passing in the right lane hurt the milage ?? ;-) (Sorry, I couldn't
                  resist.)

                  Baard
                • mwbueno
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2003
                    In 1987 I bought a 930S Stage II slant nose, mostly for advertising
                    an automotive invention I had just patented. I never took it over
                    172 MPH (276 km/h) which it go to uncomfortably quickly. It was
                    actually rated for 198 MPH or 320 km/h. So even 13 years ago Porshes
                    could better 250 km/h!

                    wrote:

                    > > Actually, all german cars leave the factory with an (nowadays)
                    > > electronically set maximum speed of 240 or 250 km/h (kph).
                    (mercedes,
                    > > porsche, bmw, vw, audi...)
                    >
                    > I think Porsche didn't agree to this so most Porsches can go faster
                    than 250
                    > km/h. I've also heard that the new VW Phaeton can be bought without
                    this
                    > maximum speed, making the car capable of 280-290 km/h. Pretty wild
                    for a
                    > saloon. Think some Ferrari drivers will be pretty surprised when
                    being
                    > outrun by something that looks like a Passat.
                    >
                    > > Nevertheless, a Prius can out-accelerate a mercedes after a
                    construction
                    > > zone (speed limit 80 kph) going uphill at 4% - even if the
                    mercedes driver
                    > > will never believe this... (with his car having something like
                    150-200 ps,
                    > > whereas the Prius only running with 72...)
                    > >

                    > Yes, the Prius is pretty quick at speeds above 80 km/h. Especially
                    uphill.
                    > I'm quite sure it's faster than my old FOrd Taurus 3.8 liter which
                    also was
                    > a pretty good hill climber.
                    >

                    > > Unfortunately, passing on the right lane is forbidden in europe...
                    > >
                    > > But doing so will really hurt your milage, you'l´l get something
                    like 8-9
                    > > l/100km (instead of 5-6 l/100km)
                    >
                    > Will passing in the right lane hurt the milage ?? ;-) (Sorry, I
                    couldn't
                    > resist.)
                    >
                    > Baard
                  • mwbueno
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2003
                      Ooops! some of my math is bad. Make that 16 years ago. Am I really
                      50 years Old??? Ouch!