RE: New Green Mica on Saturday, 3-29-2003 ...

  • Woolf, Richard
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 3:37 PM
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:51:17 -0000
      > From: "Marcia" <larue159@...>
      > Subject: New Green Mica on Saturday, 3-29-2003 ...
      >
      > Hello all ...
      > Well, I am a new Prius owner as of this past Saturday ... I went out
      > to buy groceries for this week and bought a Prius instead. I went
      > through the Costco Auto club and bought the car from Antioch Toyota
      > in Antioch, CA ... This car has everything -- even that cargo net
      > thing in the trunk and the first aid kit! Pretty fancy for an old
      > gal but I do a 66-mile, roundtrip commute 5 days a week and even
      > though my Plymouth Neon got 33 mpg, I wanted better and the Prius was
      > on my mind! The Antioch dealership totally screwed me on trade-in on
      > the Neon and gave me $300 over msrp on the Prius. No one can rely on
      > Low Blue Book for anything because the sales people give you the same
      > old song & dance: High Mileage! No resale! Blah, blah, blah!
      > Still waiting to hear from the credit union that the loan is approved
      > and the check is in the mail to Antioch Toyota. Anyway - felt good
      > driving my new Emerald Green Prius to work this a.m. Have been trying
      > to find in here the best psi for these Provenza tires. Mine are
      > currently at 41/40.
      >
      > Marcia

      Congratulations on your Prius purchase. I shop that way too. It can be
      expensive when you just go out for milk and end up with a new car.

      Do be warned that you may not get the EPA MPG numbers that are on the
      sticker (52 city/48 Highway). It's rare to get the EPA numbers in any car
      but for some reason people seem to demand it when they by a Prius. The main
      reason the Prius was designed was to reduce emissions. Better gas mileage
      was a nice side effect.
      You will probably get better mileage as you get used to the car.

      Check out the website at: http://www.john1701a.com/. Look for the
      User-Guide under the Prius Info section. It's very helpful.

      - Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio
      A Patriot supporting the Troops but NOT the War!
    • Woolf, Richard
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 6:03 AM
        That's great! My wife said she got over 50 MPG yesterday too. The weather
        is finally working WITH our Prius and not against it! However, you've
        probably noticed that your daily MPG may vary somewhat day to day and winter
        to summer. The Toyota-Prius group gets a lot of posts (almost everyday)
        that complain that their new Prius doesn't get what the EPA sticker said it
        would. My point is that most people don't get what the EPA sticker says it
        will for ANY car, not just the Prius. But for some reason people demand if
        from a Prius and not from a Ford or Chevy, etc. It does seem that many CAN
        get near or even better that the EPA sticker in their Prius, but a lot
        don't. It's not the car's fault. That's all I am saying. I have been sent
        many emails saying, " My car gets the sticker MPG," or " My car gets
        better..." That's missing my point. I said to the new user, "Do be warned
        that you may not get the EPA MPG numbers that are on the sticker (52 city/48
        Highway)." It was a head up, that's all.

        Well, I must be lucking out, 'cause I averaged 51 mpg going to and coming
        home from work today! I have a 66-mile round trip commute, can be pretty
        stop and go or, if I am lucky, a smooth sail!
        Thanks for your note!
        Marcia

        > "Woolf, Richard" <richard.woolf@...> wrote:
        > Message: 2
        > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:51:17 -0000
        > From: "Marcia"
        > Subject: New Green Mica on Saturday, 3-29-2003 ...
        >
        > Hello all ...
        > Well, I am a new Prius owner as of this past Saturday ... I went out
        > to buy groceries for this week and bought a Prius instead. I went
        > through the Costco Auto club and bought the car from Antioch Toyota
        > in Antioch, CA ... This car has everything -- even that cargo net
        > thing in the trunk and the first aid kit! Pretty fancy for an old
        > gal but I do a 66-mile, roundtrip commute 5 days a week and even
        > though my Plymouth Neon got 33 mpg, I wanted better and the Prius was
        > on my mind! The Antioch dealership totally screwed me on trade-in on
        > the Neon and gave me $300 over msrp on the Prius. No one can rely on
        > Low Blue Book for anything because the sales people give you the same
        > old song & dance: High Mileage! No resale! Blah, blah, blah!
        > Still waiting to hear from the credit union that the loan is approved
        > and the check is in the mail to Antioch Toyota. Anyway - felt good
        > driving my new Emerald Green Prius to work this a.m. Have been trying
        > to find in here the best psi for these Provenza tires. Mine are
        > currently at 41/40.
        >
        > Marcia

        >> Congratulations on your Prius purchase. I shop that way too. It can be
        >> expensive when you just go out for milk and end up with a new car.
        >>
        >> Do be warned that you may not get the EPA MPG numbers that are on the
        >> sticker (52 city/48 Highway). It's rare to get the EPA numbers in any car
        >> but for some reason people seem to demand it when they by a Prius. The
        main
        >> reason the Prius was designed was to reduce emissions. Better gas mileage
        >> was a nice side effect.
        >> You will probably get better mileage as you get used to the car.
        >>
        >> Check out the website at: http://www.john1701a.com/. Look for the
        >> User-Guide under the Prius Info section. It's very helpful.
        >>
        >> - Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio
        >> A Patriot supporting the Troops but NOT the War!
      • Randy Rathbun
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 9:03 AM
          This morning was the second morning I have drivin the new Prius to work. I got
          56.2 MPG for the 20 mile trip. Temp was in the upper 60s as I was driving in.
          The car now has 250 miles on it, or there abouts.

          I don't think it is that hard to do. All the typical "extend your mileage"
          things apply - no jackrabbit starts, coast to a stop, etc. I try to get in the
          back of the pack so I can take it nice and slow and not have anyone behind me as
          I very slowly build up speed.

          Does it add to my drive time? Not at all, that I have seen. It takes me right at
          40 minutes either way. The SUVs and other idjits that go flying past (why, oh
          why, are people in such a hurry to get TO work?) always end up sitting at the
          next stop light as I pull up, so they are not getting anything out of fast
          acceleration to begin with. It makes no sense to me.

          --
          Randy Rathbun
          http://randyrathbun.org

        • bobjbkln
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 9:06 AM
            YMMV
            --
            Peace,
            BobJ

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Woolf, Richard"
            <richard.woolf@b...> wrote:
            > That's great! My wife said she got over 50 MPG yesterday too. The
            weather
            > is finally working WITH our Prius and not against it! However,
            you've
            > probably noticed that your daily MPG may vary somewhat day to day
            and winter
            > to summer. The Toyota-Prius group gets a lot of posts (almost
            everyday)
            > that complain that their new Prius doesn't get what the EPA sticker
            said it
            > would. My point is that most people don't get what the EPA sticker
            says it
            > will for ANY car, not just the Prius. But for some reason people
            demand if
            > from a Prius and not from a Ford or Chevy, etc. It does seem that
            many CAN
            > get near or even better that the EPA sticker in their Prius, but a
            lot
            > don't. It's not the car's fault. That's all I am saying. I have
            been sent
            > many emails saying, " My car gets the sticker MPG," or " My car gets
            > better..." That's missing my point. I said to the new user, "Do be
            warned
            > that you may not get the EPA MPG numbers that are on the sticker
            (52 city/48
            > Highway)." It was a head up, that's all.

          • Mickie
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 10:33 PM
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Randy Rathbun <randy@r...>
              wrote:
              >(why, oh why, are people in such a hurry to get TO work?)

              That is a question I ponder every (weekday) morning.

              Mickie
              '02 Periwinkle Pearl