Re: [toyota-prius] Deer (was Prius review (article)

  • Betty Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      Yes, we, too, have counted numerous deer on the roadside in our travels
      from Brownfield to Waco (and also to Ruidoso). There were so many a few
      years ago, that when we had to make an emergency trip to Waco and knew
      we would be driving back at night, my husband bought deer whistles for
      the front bumper (for our Buick -- we don't have them on the Prius).

      Although we aren't sure that they really work, we *have* had experiences
      where we have seen a deer start toward the highway ahead of us, but by
      the time we are there, they turn around and run the opposite direction.
      We like to think the deer whistles work. We have them on the motor home
      and on our Tacoma, but we haven't yet decided to put them on the Prius.

      Friends who were hit by a deer near Ruidoso (yes, a large deer ran into
      them from the opposite side of the road -- they were unable to swerve
      out of the way) never drive a vehicle without deer whistles. They, too,
      wonder if they really work, but they have not encountered another deer
      on the highway since they bought them, and they travel often to Ruidoso
      to their second home. The deer encounter for them was *many* years ago.

      If you don't know about deer whistles, they are about $7.00+ and can be
      purchased at Wal-Marts and hunting supply stores in deer country.

      We are on the South Plains, but we have mule deer that are growing more
      abundant every year. Before my husband sprayed some fields, he would
      sometimes have to make a low pass to scare them out of the field before
      releasing chemical.

      Betty
      Brownfield, Texas
    • Johann Beda
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
        At 3:42 AM -0600 2003/03/01, Betty Hamilton wrote:
        >Although we aren't sure that they really work, we *have* had experiences
        >where we have seen a deer start toward the highway ahead of us, but by
        >the time we are there, they turn around and run the opposite direction.

        In general, I think they have not been shown to be very effective
        (they are so cheap if they worked, insurance agencies would insist on them
        in places with deer. I think that there are something like 10,000 deer-car
        accidents each year in Illinois alone - here is a note that in Ohio "There
        were 24,868 collisions with deer reported in 1998"
        <http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/news/oct99/deer-car.html>)

        Anyhow, here are some reports of studies of whistles:

        <http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace/cars/1121deerwhistles21.html>

        Air-fed deer whistles are found ineffective

        Associated Press
        Nov. 21, 2002 12:00 AM

        STORRS, Conn. - Air-fed deer whistles, those small plastic devices
        attached to car bumpers to scare deer from roadways, are "acoustically
        ineffective," according to a scientific study conducted by Peter Scheifele,
        an animal bioacoustics and audiology expert at the University of
        Connecticut.

        Nearly 750,000 collisions occur annually in the United States between deer
        and vehicles.

        Manufacturers promote deer whistles as "acoustic attention-getters,"
        alleging deer will react to the whistle by remaining still and not bounding
        into traffic.

        "There has been a lot of conjecture about whether the whistles work or
        don't work, and we are one of the first independent groups to
        scientifically test them," said Scheifele, director of bioacoustic research
        at the National Undersea Research Center at the University of Connecticut's
        Avery Point campus and researcher in the Department of Animal Science.

        <http://www.advance.uconn.edu/02111812.htm>

        --
        * Useful? Send me a nickle: <http://www.ginx.com/nx/donate/j-beda> *
        * johann beda <XNSName: =j-beda> <http://pobox.com/~j-beda/> *
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
          Johann Beda wrote:

          > In general, I think they have not been shown to be very effective

          Thanks, Johann. I was afraid of that, but I didn't want to believe it! I *wanted* the
          whistles to work so I would feel safe traveling at night.

          That number of deer/car accidents is scary. Add to that feral pigs in our county, and
          you might say we have quite a few road hazards at night. I did not know we had "wild"
          pigs in the county, but one of our high school teachers said her high school students
          go hunting every weekend. When I asked what for, since deer and game bird seasons are
          limited here, she said "wild" pigs. She said they hunt pigs that have been turned
          loose because of the cost of feed and the price of pork when it's sold. The animals
          have apparently multiplied rather prolifically and now are sometimes seen on roadways
          at night. They are also quite a nuisance to farm crops in general.

          When I asked what the hunters do with the meat, she said they give it to various
          families who need the food. (Thank goodness for that!)

          Betty