Re: DIM headlights on my Prius 2001 ??

  • Michael Pardee <michaelt@cybertrails.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "contactsolutions
      <sarahwang99@y...>" <sarahwang99@y...> wrote:
      > Has anyone driven on highway with no lights yet ? I recently
      started
      > a new job and have to drive on route 3 in New Hampshire and there
      are
      > NO higways lights at all !!! NO reflectors in the ground either. I
      > can't see the concrete side wall to the left lane and I can't see
      > guard railings either. The lights on my Prius (even washed and
      > cleaned) are quite DIM compared to those halogens on the SUVs and
      > other cars out there. I called central toyota customer service and
      > local dealership and they all say I can't install halogen /
      different
      > lights to my Prius. There doesnt appear to be any room for fog
      lights
      > to be installed under the front bumper area. Sigh...I have been
      > driving behind SUVs who DO HAVE the bright headlights so I can
      follow
      > them like a blind bat....I have perfect 20/20 eyesight just checked
      > so I know it isn't my eyes !!!any ideas ??

      Believe it or not, it is an important feature of evolving standards
      for automobile lighting. The older halogen sealed beams have a lot
      of "splatter" which lights the roadside, but also contributes to
      glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers. The issue came to a head with
      the advent of HID lights, which have been threatened with banishment
      from the US if they can't be more civilized. Reduction of splatter
      (that isn't the technical term, which I can't remember) is crucial to
      taming the glare.

      Mike P
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
        This I do not understand at all! How do the lights compare to other cars YOU
        have driven? It's just not possible to see how well lights on another car work
        unless YOU are the DRIVER!

        From my observation (own 5 cars at the moment, and have driven MANY more than
        that), the Prius' lights the most effective I've seen. In fact, from the
        factory the alignment was a bit too high and I have since adjusted it a bit more
        conservatively. Is it possible yours is simply a matter of adjustment?

        Pete

      • dicklarimore <rslarimore@comcast.net>
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
          Most on this list will agree that Prius headlights provide very good
          illumination at night--assuming the headlight circuit is working
          correctly. I would suggest that you have the service dept. check
          your Prius. Since you have a U.S. 2001 Prius, I will assume that it
          does not have daytime running lights. This non-DRL equipped Prius
          has a simple headlamp circuit in which all headlamp current flows
          thru the headlight switch for both the high and low beams.

          A service tech should confirm that the headlight aim is correct and
          that full system voltage is across the headlight bulbs. A check of
          system voltage at the bulbs will confirm/deny the possibility of
          voltage drops in the headlamp circuit that will reduce light output.
          With this check they can also rule out the possibility of low system
          voltage from the converter output. Normally, the Prius "12 volt"
          system should actually check from 13.8 to 14.7 volts. Low auxiliary
          battery voltage will reduce headlamp light output. Last, have them
          confirm that the correct bulbs are in the headlamps.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
            Not running on DRL's, possibly? They would provide the illusion of 'headlights'
            but not be highly effective at night...

            Pete (never really liked DRL's... still don't )