Re: DIM headlights on my Prius 2001 ??

  • Bill Powell <whp@att.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      <mrv@k...>" <mrv@k...> wrote:
      <snip>
      > As for fog lamps, you won't find
      > any available from Toyota.
      Gazoo shows bumper-mounted driving and fog lamps avail as
      aftermarket "goodies".

      If you ask nicely and offer to pre-pay, you "might" be able to get
      the parts guy at Carson Toyota to bring a set over from Japan with
      his next order.
      Oh - they're gonna be EXPENSIVE and don't include English
      instructions.

      bp
    • Michael Pardee <michaelt@cybertrails.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "contactsolutions
        <sarahwang99@y...>" <sarahwang99@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone driven on highway with no lights yet ? I recently
        started
        > a new job and have to drive on route 3 in New Hampshire and there
        are
        > NO higways lights at all !!! NO reflectors in the ground either. I
        > can't see the concrete side wall to the left lane and I can't see
        > guard railings either. The lights on my Prius (even washed and
        > cleaned) are quite DIM compared to those halogens on the SUVs and
        > other cars out there. I called central toyota customer service and
        > local dealership and they all say I can't install halogen /
        different
        > lights to my Prius. There doesnt appear to be any room for fog
        lights
        > to be installed under the front bumper area. Sigh...I have been
        > driving behind SUVs who DO HAVE the bright headlights so I can
        follow
        > them like a blind bat....I have perfect 20/20 eyesight just checked
        > so I know it isn't my eyes !!!any ideas ??

        Believe it or not, it is an important feature of evolving standards
        for automobile lighting. The older halogen sealed beams have a lot
        of "splatter" which lights the roadside, but also contributes to
        glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers. The issue came to a head with
        the advent of HID lights, which have been threatened with banishment
        from the US if they can't be more civilized. Reduction of splatter
        (that isn't the technical term, which I can't remember) is crucial to
        taming the glare.

        Mike P
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
          This I do not understand at all! How do the lights compare to other cars YOU
          have driven? It's just not possible to see how well lights on another car work
          unless YOU are the DRIVER!

          From my observation (own 5 cars at the moment, and have driven MANY more than
          that), the Prius' lights the most effective I've seen. In fact, from the
          factory the alignment was a bit too high and I have since adjusted it a bit more
          conservatively. Is it possible yours is simply a matter of adjustment?

          Pete

        • dicklarimore <rslarimore@comcast.net>
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
            Most on this list will agree that Prius headlights provide very good
            illumination at night--assuming the headlight circuit is working
            correctly. I would suggest that you have the service dept. check
            your Prius. Since you have a U.S. 2001 Prius, I will assume that it
            does not have daytime running lights. This non-DRL equipped Prius
            has a simple headlamp circuit in which all headlamp current flows
            thru the headlight switch for both the high and low beams.

            A service tech should confirm that the headlight aim is correct and
            that full system voltage is across the headlight bulbs. A check of
            system voltage at the bulbs will confirm/deny the possibility of
            voltage drops in the headlamp circuit that will reduce light output.
            With this check they can also rule out the possibility of low system
            voltage from the converter output. Normally, the Prius "12 volt"
            system should actually check from 13.8 to 14.7 volts. Low auxiliary
            battery voltage will reduce headlamp light output. Last, have them
            confirm that the correct bulbs are in the headlamps.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
              Not running on DRL's, possibly? They would provide the illusion of 'headlights'
              but not be highly effective at night...

              Pete (never really liked DRL's... still don't )