RE: [toyota-prius] Prius in Alaska

  • Baard Riiber
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      > Hello: I just bought my Prius up here in Anchorage Ak. Now I
      > am wondering if the car will accept a block heater. And being
      > that I don't have a garage, how it will perform during start up
      > at minus 10 to 20 degrees. I would appreciate any info I can
      > get.. I really like the car and feel good about buying it.
      > Thank you. Albert Bailey adub2@...

      I don't think this will be a problem at all. Of all the cars I've had, the
      Prius is by far the easiest to start when it's cold. I've started mine
      at -10-15 F without any problems at all (no different from a start at +60
      F). The only "problem" at these low temperatures may the appearance of "Mr.
      Turtle", but only for a couple of minutes. The car will have lower
      performance in this period. A block-heater as suggested by another poster is
      probably a good idea. I do not have one in the Prius, but I know from other
      cars I've owned that it can improve MPG dramatically in winter.

      Baard
      Norway