Estima Minivan

  • Richard Larsen
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2002
      So many on the group seem to want to see the Estima imported here, since 1., it's not an SUV, and 2., it has more room than an SUV, and 3., SUVs are dangerous (rollovers and a danger to others), and 4., it's a good looking car - plus a whole lot of other plusses (is that a word?). Anyone who is so inclined should SPAM (well, maybe write or email) Toyota with requests for that particular model. The biggest plus is that it already exists in Japan, so it's been tested (I hope) and should sell quite well here and blow away any of the big three competition (it would serve them right!). I told my dealer that I would place an order anytime he could assure me one would be available.

      Do dealers have any say in policy? Bruce? Diane?

      Richard Larsen

      Le Swan (2001 Super White)

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
        They may still be recalling that _other_ pre-Prius P-van.... and the, ah....,
        'limited' success it saw when they added it to the US lineup. But that was
        then, this is now, and I agree completely with your sentiments.

        Sign me up, Scotty...

        Pete

        Richard Larsen wrote:

        > So many on the group seem to want to see the Estima imported here, since 1., it's not an SUV, and 2., it has more room than an SUV, and 3., SUVs are dangerous (rollovers and a danger to others), and 4., it's a good looking car - plus a whole lot of other plusses (is that a word?). Anyone who is so inclined should SPAM (well, maybe write or email) Toyota with requests for that particular model. The biggest plus is that it already exists in Japan, so it's been tested (I hope) and should sell quite well here and blow away any of the big three competition (it would serve them right!). I told my dealer that I would place an order anytime he could assure me one would be available.
        >
        > Do dealers have any say in policy? Bruce? Diane?
        >
        > Richard Larsen
        >
        > Le Swan (2001 Super White)
      • Dan & Diane
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
          I would buy one tomorrow if it were available.

          Silver MY02 in Deerfield, IL
        • bobjbkln
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
            FWIW, it is my understanding that the Estima is the standard minivan
            model that is manufactured for Japan and Europe, while the Sienna is
            sold in North America. I would guess that it is unlikely that they
            would change their marketting strategy in this regard. So what we
            need to encourage is a hybrid version of the Sienna, like Toyota
            produced a hybrid version of the Estima.
            --
            BobJ

            --- In toyota-prius@y..., "Dan & Diane" <dx2krudop@n...> wrote:
            > I would buy one tomorrow if it were available.
            >
            > Silver MY02 in Deerfield, IL
          • Robert Kulagowski

              > > I would buy one tomorrow if it were available.
              > So what we
              > need to encourage is a hybrid version of the Sienna, like Toyota
              > produced a hybrid version of the Estima.

              I would also purchase a hybrid minivan if it were available. I'm was
              pretty pleased when my google search for "hybrid minivan" brings up
              all these great press releases from Toyota, and then disappointed
              when I join this group, do a search for the same and see from various
              people that it's not to be.

              We don't want a SUV...

            • macavity_1
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                I expect to be entering the minivan market soon and would buy the
                Estima immediately should it become available. I will not buy a hybrid
                SUV as it would not meet my growing family's needs--the reason we
                would need a minivan is to fit in more people, not just for the thrill
                of being big. If not the Estima, then the Honda Odyssey is probably
                the front runner right now. A THS minivan (Estima or Sienna or
                whatever) would certainly keep us in the Toyota family, and would also
                induce us to buy sooner than we otherwise would.

                Does anyone have an e-mail address for someone at Toyota who cares?

                --- In toyota-prius@y..., Richard Larsen <richfiddler@y...> wrote:

                > So many on the group seem to want to see the Estima imported here,
                since 1., it's not an SUV, and 2., it has more room than an SUV, and
                3., SUVs are dangerous (rollovers and a danger to others), and 4.,
                it's a good looking car - plus a whole lot of other plusses (is that a
                word?). Anyone who is so inclined should SPAM (well, maybe write or
                email) Toyota with requests for that particular model. The biggest
                plus is that it already exists in Japan, so it's been tested (I hope)
                and should sell quite well here and blow away any of the big three
                competition (it would serve them right!). I told my dealer that I
                would place an order anytime he could assure me one would be
                available.

                > Do dealers have any say in policy? Bruce? Diane?
                >
                > Richard Larsen
                >
                > Le Swan (2001 Super White)

              • Michael Parry
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Michael Parry wrote:
                    > The American idea of a minivan is clearly rather different from mine:

                    It has grown over the years. The original "minivan" was the VW Microbus.
                    The first American equivalent was the Corvair Greenbriar. I had one;
                    only a 95" wheelbase, but it seated 8 people, had a 1-ton rating, and
                    room inside for 4'x8' sheets of material.

                    The minivan was re-discovered by Chrysler in 1984, and built with
                    Omni/Horizon components (a car which was their equivalent of the VW
                    Rabbit). I also had one of them. I don't have the specs handy, bur
                    recall it was bigger in all dimensions outside, but only seated 7
                    people, had a 3/4 ton rating, and could only carry a 4'x8' sheet of
                    plywood with the back tailgate door open.

                    We now have a Toyota Sienna "minivan". It is as big as the full-sized
                    vans built on pickup truck chassis used to be, really only seats 6
                    comfortably, and the doors aren't even wide enough to accommodate 4'
                    wide material.

                    We looked at the Honda Oddessy. It is even bigger; so big that it was
                    awkward to walk around in our garage.

                    The beauty of the minivan concept was to have a small car (easy to park,
                    good handling, good gas mileage) that could carry a lot. Today, that
                    concept seems to have been lost. "Minivans" are no longer small outside,
                    and they no longer can carry all that much inside. Our Sienna is a nice
                    enough vehicle, but feels more like a bloated Camry than a usable truck.
                    --
                    Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
                    814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                      From what I understand, the Estima is far smaller than other Minivans
                      sold in America and I believe that Toyota feels that 1) it will be
                      poorly recieved because of the size 2) perhaps difficult to get
                      certified because of crash-worthiness 3) fear that it will take
                      sales from the likely more profitable Sienna.

                      I'd like to see the EcoCruiser (Prius Wagon) come out. I saw the
                      pictures and it looked great. I have to admit, I'm beginning to tire
                      of the limitations of the standard Prius. I have started to hate the
                      fact that I have to hold on to my old pickup because of those
                      limitations. I think a Prius Wagon would do a lot to remove those
                      concerns. I almost bought a PT Cruiser a couple of weeks ago to
                      replace the truck...it's cleaner and gets better mileage. But, the
                      PT...even with its 4 cylinder engine...is a gas hog. Terrible
                      mileage.

                      Let's just hope that Toyota reads this group (They'd be fools not to)
                      and that they'll rush well-developed hybrids to the market very
                      quickly.

                      Dave
                      --- In toyota-prius@y..., Lee Hart <leeahart@e...> wrote:
                      > Michael Parry wrote:
                      > > The American idea of a minivan is clearly rather different from
                      mine:

                      > It has grown over the years. The original "minivan" was the VW
                      Microbus.
                      > The first American equivalent was the Corvair Greenbriar. I had one;
                      > only a 95" wheelbase, but it seated 8 people, had a 1-ton rating,
                      and
                      > room inside for 4'x8' sheets of material.
                      >
                      > The minivan was re-discovered by Chrysler in 1984, and built with
                      > Omni/Horizon components (a car which was their equivalent of the VW
                      > Rabbit). I also had one of them. I don't have the specs handy, bur
                      > recall it was bigger in all dimensions outside, but only seated 7
                      > people, had a 3/4 ton rating, and could only carry a 4'x8' sheet of
                      > plywood with the back tailgate door open.
                      >
                      > We now have a Toyota Sienna "minivan". It is as big as the full-
                      sized
                      > vans built on pickup truck chassis used to be, really only seats 6
                      > comfortably, and the doors aren't even wide enough to accommodate 4'
                      > wide material.
                      >
                      > We looked at the Honda Oddessy. It is even bigger; so big that it
                      was
                      > awkward to walk around in our garage.
                      >
                      > The beauty of the minivan concept was to have a small car (easy to
                      park,
                      > good handling, good gas mileage) that could carry a lot. Today, that
                      > concept seems to have been lost. "Minivans" are no longer small
                      outside,
                      > and they no longer can carry all that much inside. Our Sienna is a
                      nice
                      > enough vehicle, but feels more like a bloated Camry than a usable
                      truck.
                      > --
                      > Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
                      > 814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering
                      > Sartell, MN 56377 USA There is a crack in everything
                      > leeahart_at_earthlink.net That's how the light gets in - Leonard
                      Cohen
                    • priustek
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                        --- In toyota-prius@y..., "macavity_1" <Macavity_1@y...> wrote:
                        > I expect to be entering the minivan market soon and would buy the
                        > Estima immediately should it become available. I will not buy a
                        hybrid
                        > SUV as it would not meet my growing family's needs--the reason we
                        > would need a minivan is to fit in more people, not just for the
                        thrill
                        > of being big. If not the Estima, then the Honda Odyssey is probably
                        > the front runner right now. A THS minivan (Estima or Sienna or
                        > whatever) would certainly keep us in the Toyota family, and would
                        also
                        > induce us to buy sooner than we otherwise would.
                        >
                        > Does anyone have an e-mail address for someone at Toyota who cares?
                        >
                        > --- In toyota-prius@y..., Richard Larsen <richfiddler@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So many on the group seem to want to see the Estima imported
                        here,
                        > since 1., it's not an SUV, and 2., it has more room than an SUV,
                        and
                        > 3., SUVs are dangerous (rollovers and a danger to others), and 4.,
                        > it's a good looking car - plus a whole lot of other plusses (is
                        that a
                        > word?). Anyone who is so inclined should SPAM (well, maybe write or
                        > email) Toyota with requests for that particular model. The biggest
                        > plus is that it already exists in Japan, so it's been tested (I
                        hope)
                        > and should sell quite well here and blow away any of the big three
                        > competition (it would serve them right!). I told my dealer that I
                        > would place an order anytime he could assure me one would be
                        > available.
                        > >
                        > > Do dealers have any say in policy? Bruce? Diane?
                        > >
                        > > Richard Larsen
                        > >
                        > > Le Swan (2001 Super White)

                      • Dan & Diane
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
                          --- In toyota-prius@y..., "Robert Kulagowski" <rkulagowski@t...>
                          wrote:
                          > We don't want a SUV...
                          I imagine many in this group don't. Unfortunatley Toyota could sell
                          many times the number of hybrid SUV's as it could hybrid minivans. I
                          guess I shouldn't say "unfortunately" since that's being selfish. If
                          Toyota brings out a hybrid SUV and sells tens or hundreds of
                          thousands of them, we should be pleased, even if it doesn't fit our
                          needs. Sigh!
                        • macavity_1
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002