Re: New Prius

  • mrvadeboncoeur
    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In toyota-prius@y..., "daveleason" <daveeason@c...> wrote:
      > Hey thanks guys for the info...I've got about 1,000 miles on the car
      > now and really do like it. Since 98 I've been driving a Jeep Grand
      > and driving a smaller and lower car is very nice. My Jeep gets about
      > 18 mpg!!! Now how fast can I drive the 4/C Prius without blowing the
      > engine up? Can I set the cruse on say 75 and be OK? Also cause
      > this sits so much lower to the ground than the Jeep, do I need one of
      > those leather "bra" things for the front of the car?

      Top speed (for transmission reasons, as well as tire ratings) is at 110MPH. Going 75MPH should be no problems.

      As for a bra, that is more of a personal preference. Leather, or ClearBra (3M plastic thing)? depends if you travel where there are lots of small rocks to chip your front hood...
      Message 61 of 61 , Jul 12, 2013
        On Jul 12, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Big Ben <omnivore_nh@...> wrote:

        > Just picked up my new Prius C yesterday. Decided to get all the bells and whistles.

        Congratulations! I have only bought new toilets and lawnmower this year. Nothing so fun as a new car. But new dirtbike is coming later this year! :-)

        > Still trying to master the voice command.

        My 2007 Package 6 has voice command. Tried to use it a couple of times. Bbbbtttthhh! Useless. Too much work to try to figure out a completely different command system when there are perfectly good buttons to do the job.

        Handsfree phone mic picks up too much noise above 60 MPH and I have too much respect for whoever I am talking to to make them suffer. Found a BlueAnt SuperTooth 3 for my truck with much superior noise cancelation. Truck is gone so now the SuperTooth is carried in the center console of my Prius for times I know I will be driving any distance over 60 MPH. So in short I use the built-in system to answer by pressing the button on the steering wheel but I don't use it to dial (I don't dial) and don't use it to attempt to control the HVAC or navigation or anything.

        > Previous car was a Mini cooper. Great on gas, but it takes midgrade which negates the good milage, and it was short on space.

        Looking at the numbers I wasn't impressed by Cooper or Smart MPG.

        > Had a Prius liftback in 2007, which was great on gas, butdidn't have much road feel.

        Oh, LOTS of feel. Just too much of the wrong kind. Until recently a friend was the general sales manager at a Lexus dealership. Talking to him after he left I mentioned the CT200h. Said one should be able to get a used one cheap because he took back most every one on trade within 6 months of selling. Its just not what Lexus people expect and the ES300h gets 40 MPG combined EPA rating vs 42 and doesn't cost all that much more. Plus the ES300h is the kind of Lexus Lexus people are used to.

        So I know to stay away to keep from being tempted to trade my 2007 Prius for a Lexus CT200h. Also I don't like the feet-forward driving position of the CT200h. Guess I'm a lot like the typical Lexus owner in that respect.

        > The C seems to be a great compromise for milage and handling.

        Thanks for the heads-up. I need to stay away from the Lexus dealer AND the Toyota dealer... :-)

        > Anyone have a cheat sheet for voice commands?

        Yeah, I find the OFF button is most useful "voice" command. Too much effort to learn how to use. Have 2 vehicles now with voice command. Bought the latest used this time last year. Got my phone connected via Bluetooth and phonebook uploaded. First thing I thought to do was "call Mom". Dialtone. Dialing tones. Looked at the display and, "Whose phone number is THAT?" Not my Mom. "Cancel!" "Bye!" How the heck do I hang up? Found the manual button on steering wheel before anyone answered and that was the last time I tried a voice command on that car. Found the previous owner's phonebook was still in the car's system so the first definition of "Mom" was used to dial.

        Heck, I don't even use Siri on my iPhone. I'm just a Luddite. :-)