Steering Rack Problems

  • shomburger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      After 36 days in the dealership, I got my 2002 Prius back yesterday.
      They put in a new steering rack and were falling all over themselves
      to be nice compared to June when they couldn't find anything wrong.

      The bill was $4600 plus another $850 for the rental car and Toyota
      is paying for all of it.

      After todays drive no problems, Yeah..

      there are 3 more cars sitting on the lot here in Boulder waiting for
      the new racks.

      Steve Homburger
    • road_tested_parts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
        Good thing it was under warranty.
        I just picked up a rebuilt steering rack for my Cadillac
        at Shucks for $60 and spent two hours changing it.
        $4,600 comes to almost 20% of the cost of a new Prius
        Ouch!