Re: [toyota-prius] Heating the car & glass

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      Christopher Culp wrote:

      > Note: Ready light must be on STEADY.

      True,,, but I've never seen mine winking!

      > I suspect that in the winter, this may take a while as the ICE has to
      > warm up and
      > I think the air in the car needs to warm up via the ICE

      Untrue! The heat pump (electric) warms the interior air, and
      comes on as quickly as the AC (when the heat pump is pumping the
      other way). Not a big delay there, and it's great how quickly it
      goes to work clearing the windscreen.

      Now, if the rear window grid could just put out a couple more
      btu's....

      Cheers,

      Pete
    • Mike Kaiser
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
        The Prius does not have a heat pump. It does have electrode type heaters
        that Toyota calls PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heaters. They come
        on when:

        1) you select DEF, FOOT or FOOT/DEF on the Outlet control and...
        2) the Coolant and Ambient temperatures are below a specific value.

        Once the gas engine is warmed up the PTC heaters cut-off. Nice feature.

        I've noticed this feature now that the morning temperatures have gotten a
        little lower here in Seattle.

        - - Mike
        (1,250 miles, 48 MPG)

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          I have no reason to doubt you, Mike, but I know I didn't make it
          up.... time to do some research. (still, whatever the reason,
          feels good on a cool morning - got all the way down to 62 here the
          other day..)

          Cheers,

          Pete ;-)