Re: [toyota-prius] Re: tire stem caps

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
      Linda, there's a LOT of room to play between "way too soft" and "a bit hard"!
      Why not try 40/38, etc.?

      LRR? It's a matter of sidewall construction and other factors, although with
      any tire more pressure will always reduce rolling resistance!

      Pete

      douga1467 wrote:

      > Maybe the roads I drive on are comparativly smooth, cause I don't
      > feel the harsh jittery drive at 50 psi in the tires. Infact, I'd say
      > that at 35/33 the car seemed sluggish and non responsive. Only once
      > did the stiffness of the tires become teeth jittering, that was on a
      > stretch of freeway in the mountains where years of car chains left
      > 1000's of divits on the concrete road. (interstate 80 to Reno NV)
      >
      > BTW where else does "low rolling resistance' come from?, but from
      > stiff tires.
      >
      > Doug
      >
      > Linda said
      > > I had to monkey with the tire pressure now anyway, I tried the
      > > 42/40 Pete and others have been advocating...
      > >
      > > After 12 miles of driving to test it, I decided new dental work was
      > > more expensive than new tires, and reduced the pressure to 35/33.
      > > No wonder Toyota demos the car at 35/33; if I'd test driven it at
      > > 40 psi, I would have thought twice about paying that much for a car
      > > with that kind of ride. My tires are fine, normal wear, so I don't
      > > need to tweak with psi to preserve tread; I'm going to leave well
      > > enough alone and enjoy the comfort.

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
        You wrote...

        > Linda, there's a LOT of room to play between "way too soft" and "a bit hard"!
        > Why not try 40/38, etc.?

        It would appear that 35/33 is not "way too soft" for my car. Toyota
        recommends the pressure. At that pressure my tires do not leak air pressure,
        nor do they wear abnormally. My mpgs are to be expected for the driving I
        do.

        42/40 was not "a bit hard" -- it was "way too hard" for me. The car bounced
        around like my old Chevette. With all that bounce and jar, the creaks and
        rattles in the car were making themselves known, too. The noise of the bumps
        and the rattles was more than offsetting the 'zen' feeling of driving the
        Prius... If I wanted a car that felt and sounded like a tank, I wouldn't
        have bought the Prius. (Granted, March is not the most forgiving month in
        Wisconsin, as all the roads are thawing out...but, that's where I have to
        drive, and that¹s what I could test.)

        I've been very happy at 35/33 (except for wandering all over the road at
        highway speeds). I satisfied my curiosity with my experiment with higher
        tire pressure, and I don't really see what's to be gained by testing tire
        pressures incrementally down from 42, unless someone can tell me it will
        stop the wander.

        I wasn't knocking what works for you. I was just stating what didn't work
        for me. To each his (and her) own.

        peace,
        Linda