Re: metric display?

  • john1701a
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
      > Is there a way to switch everything into metric

      That seems unlikely.

      > I am often out of town for months at a time. It sounds like I
      > may run into some problems with battery drain. Is there a master
      > Off switch?

      Disconnecting the small 12-volt battery is like flipping a master off
      switch. Doing that has protected the large battery-pack from drain
      for others.

      > I'm a bit concerned that the car will be worthless when the
      > batteries die in 8 to 10 years

      The expected life is 10 to 12 years. And if you're gone for months
      at a time, you should get longer than that.

      Prius routinely drives without the battery-pack anyway. On the
      highway, it's usually being charged. With moderate acceleration, the
      needed electricity is generated on-the-fly from the engine. So you
      could probably survive with a battery-pack that can only retain a
      small charge.

      The price of the battery-pack should come down significantly +10
      years from now. The auto industry is helping to increase demand, but
      the real drive is coming from the technology arena. Both the laptop
      computer and digital camera market are beginning to boom. Everyone
      involved with that is begging for a better (more power, longer life,
      less expensive) battery. That strong interest in research should
      benefit everyone.

      Lastly, it's actually theoretically possible that years from now we
      may be able to increase the performance of the Prius we already own
      by simply installing a battery-pack with more advanced technology
      (along with a firmware/software upgrade). How about that!?

      JOHN
      http://john1701a.com
    • douga1467
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
        I hope that is true, but as likely, a $4000 bill waits for us with
        our Prii in ten years. Simple alkaline and regular car lead-acid
        batteries, from what I have seen, seem to have only increased in cost
        as compared to 10 years ago. But, just as likely, yes those batteries
        will have longer life and higher capacity.

        Doug

        > The price of the battery-pack should come down significantly +10
        > years from now.
        >
        > JOHN
        > http://john1701a.com
      • Syed Ali
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
          Panasonic which makes the NMH Batteries for the Prius
          has recently announced they are chopping the price for
          the batteries.

          --- douga1467 <doug1467@...> wrote:
          > I hope that is true, but as likely, a $4000 bill
          > waits for us with
          > our Prii in ten years. Simple alkaline and regular
          > car lead-acid
          > batteries, from what I have seen, seem to have only
          > increased in cost
          > as compared to 10 years ago. But, just as likely,
          > yes those batteries
          > will have longer life and higher capacity.
          >
          > Doug
          >
          > > The price of the battery-pack should come down
          > significantly +10
          > > years from now.
          > >
          > > JOHN
          > > http://john1701a.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • joleta
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
            If you switch over to French language, the Nav Lady will speak the
            distances in kilometers (and the directions in French, of course). It
            makes an interesting change. Switching to French language also
            switches the multi-display to kilometers, if I remember correctly. I
            know that I had trouble switching it back after I went back to
            English.

            Barbara
          • etdavis
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
              --- In toyota-prius@y..., Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@n...> wrote:

              > I prefer to live my life in metric, and I know the US model has a
              > km/h / MPH switch.

              Yes, this is true. Today on my way home from work it seemed like
              everbody on the road was speeding like crazy. They were passing me
              and obviously irritated with my slow driving. I didn't know why
              everybody was in such a hurry, after all, I was going a good 10 or
              more above the speed limit myself.

              When I pulled into the driveway at home I noticed the speedometer
              display said km/h. I must have accidently pushed the metric button
              when I got into the car at work. Boy did I feel dumb.

              I was the confused idiot on the road today. Sorry everyone.

              One thing is for sure. I bet I never do that again.

              Ed
            • Jim Gottlieb
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                On 2002-04-02 at 17:00, you wrote:

                > If you switch over to French language, the Nav Lady will speak the
                > distances in kilometers

                You mean the Nav system doesn't have an option to speak and display in
                metric? I thought that was a given, as all the systems my friends have
                give that option.

                Maybe I need to look at a 3rd-party Nav system instead.
              • Al MacDiarmid
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                  This has happened to me twice. The first time I thought maybe I hit that
                  button, the second time I had been nowhere near it. Something on board
                  changed it. Call it Menehunes, Little People, or just a bug, it changed by
                  itself. Al

                  >--- In toyota-prius@y..., Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@n...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I prefer to live my life in metric, and I know the US model has a
                  > > km/h / MPH switch.
                  >
                  >Yes, this is true. Today on my way home from work it seemed like
                  >everbody on the road was speeding like crazy. They were passing me
                  >and obviously irritated with my slow driving. I didn't know why
                  >everybody was in such a hurry, after all, I was going a good 10 or
                  >more above the speed limit myself.
                  >
                  >When I pulled into the driveway at home I noticed the speedometer
                  >display said km/h. I must have accidently pushed the metric button
                  >when I got into the car at work. Boy did I feel dumb.
                  >
                  >I was the confused idiot on the road today. Sorry everyone.
                  >
                  >One thing is for sure. I bet I never do that again.
                  >
                  >Ed

                  Allen B. MacDiarmid
                  600 E. Saguaro Dr #7
                  Benson, AZ 85602
                  520-586-3974
                  USNA '55
                  SKP 14751
                  al.macdiarmid@...
                  www.homestead.com/broadreacher

                • jasio2
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002

                    > Maybe I need to look at a 3rd-party Nav system instead.

                    I think that this would be the right decision.
                    TOYOTA's NAV ar $2,000 is weeeell overpriced ( same as $350 CD
                    player).
                    Buy Garmins StreetPilot III for around $600 and you will get much
                    more features and satisfaction.

                    Robert
                  • mwbueno
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
                      --- In toyota-prius@y..., "jasio2" <rybalki@b...> wrote:

                      > > Maybe I need to look at a 3rd-party Nav system instead.
                      >
                      > I think that this would be the right decision.
                      > TOYOTA's NAV ar $2,000 is weeeell overpriced ( same as $350 CD
                      > player).
                      > Buy Garmins StreetPilot III for around $600 and you will get much
                      > more features and satisfaction.

                      I have both the Prius Nav and the Street Pilot III. I have never
                      seen the Street Pilot III for under $780; I paid $900+ last summer.

                      I will agree that the Prius Nav is a bit spendy; however, based on my
                      experiences with both units, I would pick the Prius Nav, even at
                      $1,900.

                      Wayne

                      > Robert
                    • Sandy Rawe
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7, 2002
                        Has anyone tried the Pharos nav system? It works with PocketPC; at
                        least, I think that is what I have seen advertised for the HP Jornada.
                        It is about $250 on top of whatever the PocketPC costs. Pharos may make
                        them for other PDA's than HP, but I have not noticed.

                        I like the idea of being portable rather than dedicated to the car.

                        Sandy

                        > > Maybe I need to look at a 3rd-party Nav system instead.
                        >
                        > I think that this would be the right decision.
                        > TOYOTA's NAV ar $2,000 is weeeell overpriced ( same as $350 CD
                        > player).
                        > Buy Garmins StreetPilot III for around $600 and you will get much
                        > more features and satisfaction.

                        I have both the Prius Nav and the Street Pilot III. I have never
                        seen the Street Pilot III for under $780; I paid $900+ last summer.

                        I will agree that the Prius Nav is a bit spendy; however, based on my
                        experiences with both units, I would pick the Prius Nav, even at
                        $1,900.

                        Wayne

                        > Robert

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to