60 Minutes

  • Tom Crown
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2002
      Nice coverage of Prius on 60 Minutes but discouraging
      as to what the real US market is. Trucks and SUVs.

      Also, why is Prius advertising so criptic. A shot of a
      little car driving through a jungle with a chimp
      playing in front of it doesn't tell much as to what a
      Prius is. I certainly wouldn't buy a car on the basis
      of such an add.

      Tom Crown
      Western Springs, IL

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • rnx2
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2002
        I saw that as saving the earth for the jungle animals,etc. Mary A.
      • Tom Crown
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2002
          I saw it that way too but the leap from driving a
          poorly identified car through a jungle to wanting to
          actually buy one is too great. Also, driving any
          vehicle through a jungle is not a way to save
          wildlife.I would have prefered some information about
          the Prius . Most people I talk to haven't heard of
          it but are very favorably impressed if they ride in it
          and hear about what it is.

          --- rnx2 <rnx2@...> wrote:
          > I saw that as saving the earth for the jungle
          > animals,etc. Mary A.

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • john1701a
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2002
            > Also, why is Prius advertising so criptic. A shot of a
            > little car driving through a jungle with a chimp...

            Don't forget, that commercial (which is available on my website) was
            produced 2 years ago. Back then, most people hadn't even heard the
            word "hybrid" for the first time. Guessing how to advertise it (to
            US consumers, no less) was just a shot in the dark.

            JOHN
            http://john1701a.com
          • hb54321
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2002
              I thought 60 min. did a good job on the coverage. The Toyota rep.
              they interviewed did pretty well, but it was clear that auto makers
              focus on where the money is. Thats SUV's. A bonus for Toyota is
              they also have a responsible car in their inventory with the Prius.

              With all the discussion about Toyota R&D investment and costs
              exceeding what they sell the car for, I get the impression they want
              the car to be popular, they want the reputation for being on the
              leading edge, but they don't want the car to be a run away success.
              That would cut into their high profit SUV market. This isn't
              intended as a negative, but they ARE in the business to make money.

              Too bad the coverage was in Chicago where it was cold. Every shot of
              the Prius showed visible exhaust, just like all the other ICE cars.

              --- In toyota-prius@y..., Tom Crown <tcmute2002@y...> wrote:
              > Nice coverage of Prius on 60 Minutes but discouraging
              > as to what the real US market is. Trucks and SUVs.
              >
              > Also, why is Prius advertising so criptic. A shot of a
              > little car driving through a jungle with a chimp
              > playing in front of it doesn't tell much as to what a
              > Prius is. I certainly wouldn't buy a car on the basis
              > of such an add.
              >
              > Tom Crown
              > Western Springs, IL

              > http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • prius_plunge
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2002
                --- In toyota-prius@y..., Tom Crown <tcmute2002@y...> wrote:
                > Nice coverage of Prius on 60 Minutes but discouraging
                > as to what the real US market is. Trucks and SUVs.
                >
                > Also, why is Prius advertising so criptic. A shot of a
                > little car driving through a jungle with a chimp
                > playing in front of it doesn't tell much as to what a
                > Prius is. I certainly wouldn't buy a car on the basis
                > of such an add.
                >
                > Tom Crown
                > Western Springs, IL

                Believe it or not, it was a chance viewing of the "chimps" commercial
                back in the summer of 2000 that got me interested in the Prius! After
                a few months of research (including reading this Group and the sibling
                Club), I ordered mine in November 2000. So, no, I did not buy the
                Prius solely on the basis of this commercial, and had I not seen this
                commercial, I may have learned about it through some other source
                eventually. However, in my case, it WAS what sparked my interest in
                this car.
              • Tom Crown
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2002
                  It still doesn't seem like a good ad but it worked in
                  your case. I don't really remember how we got onto the
                  Prius but we really like it. It feels like a member
                  of the family.

                  Tom Crown

                  -- prius_plunge <prius_plunge@...> wrote:
                  > --- In toyota-prius@y..., Tom Crown
                  > <tcmute2002@y...> wrote:
                  > > Nice coverage of Prius on 60 Minutes but
                  > discouraging
                  > > as to what the real US market is. Trucks and SUVs.
                  > >
                  > > Also, why is Prius advertising so criptic. A shot
                  > of a
                  > > little car driving through a jungle with a chimp
                  > > playing in front of it doesn't tell much as to
                  > what a
                  > > Prius is. I certainly wouldn't buy a car on the
                  > basis
                  > > of such an add.
                  > >
                  > > Tom Crown
                  > > Western Springs, IL
                  > >

                  > Believe it or not, it was a chance viewing of the
                  > "chimps" commercial
                  > back in the summer of 2000 that got me interested in
                  > the Prius! After
                  > a few months of research (including reading this
                  > Group and the sibling
                  > Club), I ordered mine in November 2000. So, no, I
                  > did not buy the
                  > Prius solely on the basis of this commercial, and
                  > had I not seen this
                  > commercial, I may have learned about it through some
                  > other source
                  > eventually. However, in my case, it WAS what
                  > sparked my interest in
                  > this car.

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://sports.yahoo.com
                • bhamilt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
                    Quote:

                    showing Cuban refugees in a make-shift 1950's chevy car - pontoon which had paddles on the wheels, and after the coast gaurd detected them and rounded them up, the boat was deemed a hazard to ships and sunk "LIKE A ROCK" accoridng to Dan
                    Rather......with emphasis and pause in saying it. ...... that was a big time LOL moment.....anybody else catch that????

                    I remember seeing it, but didn't catch the significance. I was just flabberghasted that they would try to make a boat out of a car.

                    If anyone saw 60 Minutes on Sunday night (May 30), Leslie Stahl talked to a GM exec. She asked him why they were still building gas guzzlers and his response was that "customers demand them". Then she said something like "could it be that the reason customers ask for them is because vehicles are advertised in such a way as to promote speed and size instead of promoting conserving gas" -- not her exact words but similar. Again, he had a rather frozen smile and said that they build them because "customers demand them."

                    Betty
                    Snowflake, 2003 Super White Prius (hybrid), 17,000+ wonderful miles
                    http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org