Met a fellow Prius owner today

  • sjbrickell2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Went to the health food store today and lo and behold... an aqua ice
      parked in front. There was only one other customer in there so I went
      up and introduced myself to the woman as a fellow Prius owner, who
      became very excited. We spoke for a few minutes inside, then she
      wanted to see our cars side by side, so we went outside where we
      continued our conversation. We talked about how much we loved our
      cars, seeing other Prius' on the road, and meeting other owners.

      I encouraged her to join our group as I have learned so much from all
      of you. She went back inside after we ended our conversation and I
      could hear her tell the clerk "that was fun." I concur!

      Side note: Maggie (the woman I met at the health food store)
      mentioned her sister's concern with the Prius' quietness. She works
      with the blind and is concerned for their safety when stepping off of
      sidewalks, etc. So let's be watchful when cruising through parking
      lots and pedestrian areas for our blind friends.
    • joleta
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        In addition to the approximately 10 million blind Americans, don't
        forget the approximately 20 million deaf and hard-of hearing, and
        that goes for everyone who drives a car, not just our beloved
        stealthy Prius.

        Barbara

        P.S. I don't mean to be America-centric, but it took me long enough
        just to verify those statistics.

        --- In toyota-prius@y..., "sjbrickell2002" <sjbrickell@h...> wrote:
        > Side note: Maggie (the woman I met at the health food store)
        > mentioned her sister's concern with the Prius' quietness. She works
        > with the blind and is concerned for their safety when stepping off
        of
        > sidewalks, etc. So let's be watchful when cruising through parking
        > lots and pedestrian areas for our blind friends.
      • richb01803
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In toyota-prius@y..., "sjbrickell2002" <sjbrickell@h...> wrote:
          > Side note: Maggie (the woman I met at the health food store)
          > mentioned her sister's concern with the Prius' quietness. She works
          > with the blind and is concerned for their safety when stepping off
          of
          > sidewalks, etc.

          I'll second that. I think about it any time I see the bumper
          sticker "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

          Toyota and other manufacturers probably need to take this
          consideration into account in future designs. Pedestrians (sighted
          or otherwise) can and will be killed walking in front of cars that
          move noiselessly; I fear that this could happen to a loved one when I
          myself am soundlessly gliding past the house or into a store parking
          lot.

          It's kinda hardwired into our brains that cars make a certain sound,
          so (if you pay attention to your own behavior) we tend not to look
          for a car--unless we hear it--in a place like a parking lot where
          cars tend to move slowly. It's quite jarring to find a silent car
          abruptly appear in front of us.

          I don't know what design suggestion to suggest; maybe the
          manufacturers should engage an acoustical consultant.
        • mrvadeboncoeur
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
            --- In toyota-prius@y..., "sjbrickell2002" <sjbrickell@h...> wrote:
            > mentioned her sister's concern with the Prius' quietness. She works
            > with the blind and is concerned for their safety when stepping off
            of
            > sidewalks, etc. So let's be watchful when cruising through parking
            > lots and pedestrian areas for our blind friends.

            It's not just the blind. I've had my share of perfectly-sighted
            people (quite often a mother leading a kid by the hand) dart right
            out in front of me in parking lots and long driveways and residential
            neighborhoods. What ever happened to look both ways before crossing
            the street? I've even seen deer stop and look before crossing a
            road, why don't people do this any more?

            (Besides, you also have to worry about pets and various woodland
            creatures bounding out in front of a car, silent or not...)

            In short, be careful out there when driving your car. There are lots
            of beings on foot that have a tendancy of walking right in front of
            your moving vehicle...