Re: Tax incentives; HOV lanes; other beTnnies

  • jonhorsley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      The last thing I read, Prius will not qualify for HOV.
      http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

      --- In toyota-prius@y..., Donald Cook <decook@a...> wrote:
      > I spent almost two hours this morning in a vain attempt to research
      some
      > issues with Prius. Nowhere does there appear a definitive answer to
      all
      > these questions where I, at any rate, would expect to find them:
      >
      > * The federal tax advantage to Prius ownership:
      > * IRS rules
      > * Any possible other incentives
      > * The state (California) advantage to Prius ownership:
      > * CEDD credits or deductions
      >
      > * HOV status -- I had heard some months ago that Prius could now
      > qualify. Some sites refer you to the DMV site, but it's both
      a bit
      > dense and a little lacking in effective indexing, so I could
      get
      > nowhere
      > *
      > * Hm. Can't get rid of these damned bullets. Crap.
      > * Anyway. I would be most interested in either a site where all
      the
      > above can be found, or an answer that would outline the
      answers so
      > I can look up the original materials myself.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > * Dots.

    • reresubmit
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
        Almost all of these have been discussed--some excruciatingly--but
        there are few definitive answers.

        Check Bookmarks>Financial, lots of stuff there:
        prius/links/Financial_000963256550/

        Federal tax (I'm not a tax professional, yada yada):
        $1500 deduction for sure
        ~$2000 credit is debatable, and the latest IRS pubs, though poorly
        drafted, clearly intend that the Prius is not eligible

        CA advantages (I'm still not a tax professional):
        I don't know what CEDD is
        IMO, it's a disgrace how slow CA has been to provide incentives for
        folks to buy the Prius or Insight. San Joaquin air quality district
        has an incentive in place:
        http://www.valleyair.org/transportation/ldv%20program/trans%2Dldv.htm
        The state has been trying to get one up & running, but I'm skeptical
        that it will ever happen:
        http://www.energy.ca.gov/highmpg/index.html
        Both must be arranged before vehicle purchse.
        Unambiguous NO from CARB on HOV use solo, 'cause it uses gas:
        http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/faq.htm

        Alex
        LO EMISN
        San Carlos, CA