Prius related article

  • Marc Michelsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2001
      I just found this article while searching for something and don't recall
      it being mentioned here.
      It has a few quotes from Toyota exec Dave Hermance on page 2.
      http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/october/200110_columns_bedard.xml?&page=1

      (link will probably wrap and need to be copied and pasted)
    • imix@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In toyota-prius@y..., Marc Michelsen <marc.michelsen@h...> wrote:
        > I just found this article while searching for something and don't
        recall
        > it being mentioned here.
        > It has a few quotes from Toyota exec Dave Hermance on page 2.

        http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/october/2001
        10_columns_bedard.xml?&page=1

        > (link will probably wrap and need to be copied and pasted)

        Interesting. I couldn't get the link to work, try this one.
        Charlie Fosdick

        http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/october/200110_c
        olumns_bedard.xml
      • Sam Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
          I don't care for the author's writing style, but that article is
          refreshingly different because he's a bit of a "techy".

          This Dave Hermance quote (who was ee_of_ee on the "clubs" site)
          struck me:

          "What kills mileage is part throttling at light loads."

          I take this as Dave reinforcing the concept of "pulse driving", where
          the whole point is to run the engine close to max power, or not at
          all. (Read about it in Bookmarks, Driving techniques.)

          It's an old topic, but I never tire of it. (I'm not suggesting we
          discuss it again. Actually, I'm on the edge of my seat wondering
          what new insight into the weight of lug nuts will next come my way.)

          Sam

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
            Sam Williams wrote:

            > This Dave Hermance quote (who was ee_of_ee on the "clubs" site)
            > struck me:
            >
            > "What kills mileage is part throttling at light loads."
            >
            > I take this as Dave reinforcing the concept of "pulse driving", where
            > the whole point is to run the engine close to max power, or not at
            > all. (Read about it in Bookmarks, Driving techniques.)

            Perhaps not so much pulse driving, as highlighting the most important difference
            between the classic Otto and the Prius' unique Atkinson-Otto cycle engine, which
            adjusts valve timing based on load & rpm for optimal efficiency.