Prius & Insight on TechTV. WOW!!!

  • john1701a@worldnet.att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      It was incredible!

      I can't believe how great of a job they did!

      You'll be quite pleased when you see it!

      The segment was about 4 minutes long. They showed both the Insight
      and the Prius. Several owners were featured. There was a ton of
      driving footage, a few animated graphics, but the best was the
      disassembled Prius hybrid components. We actually get to see the
      *sealed* inner workings up close. Sweet!

      http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/story/0,23158,3357246,00.html Check
      out that link. Sumi wrote an article about the two hybrids.

      Eventually, I'd like to share my recording of it with y'all. For
      now, that just isn't appropriate. Even though many of you can't get
      TechTV, they went to a lot of work to film that and I love their
      programming. So we'll have to patiently wait awhile. Some time down
      the road that episode will finally age. Then it may be ok to provide
      a low-res copy. Hang in there, it's not like I'm going anywhere...
      online I mean, you know I drove all over with my Prius.

      Anywho, for those of you that actually get TechTV, watch the reruns.
      That episode will be replayed several times this week.

      Also on a side note, when I got home today I almost had a panic
      attack. I turned on the computer and discovered channel 20 was no
      longer TechTV, some baking show was on. That resulted in an
      immediate response of clicking through every channel to find out if
      TechTV had been dropped from my service. Phew! The final channel,
      76, had it. That was a close call. I almost missed seeing that
      episode myself.

      JOHN
      http://john1701a.com
    • Robert Ryba
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
        I saw it too - great show indeed.
        They actually show how our gears look like.
        John - how difficult it would be to extract still shots of planetary
        gears from this recording?

        Robert

        P.S Dishnetwork has TechTV on channell 191.
      • john1701a@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
          > how difficult it would be to extract still shots of planetary
          > gears from this recording?

          No problemo.

          And I can do that within the next few days too.

          JOHN
          http://john1701a.com
        • wbrown@pilgrimspride.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
            --- In toyota-prius@y..., john1701a@w... wrote:

            > And I can do that within the next few days too.
            >
            > JOHN
            > http://john1701a.com

            John,
            You are awesome! I can barely wait to see it!
            Wayne
          • David Fox
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
              Can't wait to see it! Glad I made it into the final piece. I'll catch the
              one airing in 15 minutes (12:00 am PST). I'm recording it to digital video
              from satellite, so I'll have a pristine copy. I could ask them if it's all
              right to post the segment.

              David

              At 06:55 PM 10/31/2001, john1701a@... wrote:
              >It was incredible!
              >
              >I can't believe how great of a job they did!
              >
              >You'll be quite pleased when you see it!
              >
              >The segment was about 4 minutes long. They showed both the Insight
              >and the Prius. Several owners were featured. There was a ton of
              >driving footage, a few animated graphics, but the best was the
              >disassembled Prius hybrid components. We actually get to see the
              >*sealed* inner workings up close. Sweet!
              >
              >http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/story/0,23158,3357246,00.html Check
              >out that link. Sumi wrote an article about the two hybrids.
              >
              >Eventually, I'd like to share my recording of it with y'all. For
              >now, that just isn't appropriate. Even though many of you can't get
              >TechTV, they went to a lot of work to film that and I love their
              >programming. So we'll have to patiently wait awhile. Some time down
              >the road that episode will finally age. Then it may be ok to provide
              >a low-res copy. Hang in there, it's not like I'm going anywhere...
              >online I mean, you know I drove all over with my Prius.
              >
              >Anywho, for those of you that actually get TechTV, watch the reruns.
              >That episode will be replayed several times this week.
              >
              >Also on a side note, when I got home today I almost had a panic
              >attack. I turned on the computer and discovered channel 20 was no
              >longer TechTV, some baking show was on. That resulted in an
              >immediate response of clicking through every channel to find out if
              >TechTV had been dropped from my service. Phew! The final channel,
              >76, had it. That was a close call. I almost missed seeing that
              >episode myself.
              >
              >JOHN
              >http://john1701a.com

              David Fox
              Electric Eggplant Entertainment
              415 460-6570 (home office)
              415 485-5232 (fax)
              http://www.ElectricEggplant.com
            • john1701a@worldnet.att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
                > When you compress your videos, what format do you use??
                > What codec, fps, etc.?

                I've been experimenting using everything MGI VideoWave 4 has to
                offer. The clip is 4 minutes 2 seconds (I included a brief TechTV
                promo at the beginning to give proper credit). So far my 2 best
                renders are...

                AVI using "Indeo Video 5.06" at 176x120 pixels and 10.00 fps
                with "11025 Hz, Mono, 8 Bit" sound. That ended up 6.32 MB

                AVI using "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2" at 176x120 pixels and
                10.00 fps with "11025 Hz, Mono, 8 Bit" sound. That ended up 8.66 MB

                The MPEG-4 is bigger but noticably smoother (far less compression
                distortion), especially when played back at full-screen. And since
                it is a Microsoft codec, anyone using "Media Player" (on both PC and
                MAC) should be able to view it without any trouble. It's hard to
                tell when Quicktime for OS10 will provide Intel's Indeo codec, so
                maybe you MAC users can enlighten me about the Microsoft codec.

                JOHN
                http://john1701a.com
              • David Fox
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
                  QuickTime users (both Mac and PC) can download the Indeo 5 codec for
                  QuickTime...

                  http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/indeo/