AC

  • ajgmph@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 19, 2000
      Does anyone know if the airconditioning compressor really shuts down if you
      are stopped in traffic? That would be a major negative here in Charlotte.
      We can regularly get in stop and go traffic on the highway for an hour in 90
      plus heat. If the air conditioning compressor cuts out to conserve fuel as
      the brochure seems to indicate that would really be unacceptable. Hot and in
      traffic is clearly worse than just in traffic! Anybody have details?
      MHenriques, Charlotte
    • Jean-Paul Chevalier
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 20, 2000
        My understanding is that there are two modes for the air
        conditioning. One mode is for fuel efficiency and the other is for
        maximum cooling. In the first mode the air conditioning will not run
        when the car is at a stop. The second mode will force the engine to
        run all of the time to drive the compressor. Also the U.S. Prius has
        a larger air conditioning unit than the Japanese version. There is a
        label AUTO on the fan speed dial before speed 1. I can't find
        any information on what its function is but it might also have to do
        with the air conditioning. I will see next Thursday when the demo
        Prius will be at Maryland dealers.

        J.P.

        --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, ajgmph@a... wrote:
        > Does anyone know if the airconditioning compressor really shuts
        down if you
        > are stopped in traffic? That would be a major negative here in
        Charlotte.
        > We can regularly get in stop and go traffic on the highway for an
        hour in 90
        > plus heat. If the air conditioning compressor cuts out to conserve
        fuel as
        > the brochure seems to indicate that would really be unacceptable.
        Hot and in
        > traffic is clearly worse than just in traffic! Anybody have
        details?
        > MHenriques, Charlotte
      • Jean-Paul Chevalier
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 20, 2000
          Here is a link to the Toyota Prius page explaining a little about the
          a/c.

          http://prius.toyota.com/interior/interior_ac.html

          J.P.

          --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, ajgmph@a... wrote:
          > Does anyone know if the airconditioning compressor really shuts
          down if you
          > are stopped in traffic? That would be a major negative here in
          Charlotte.
          > We can regularly get in stop and go traffic on the highway for an
          hour in 90
          > plus heat. If the air conditioning compressor cuts out to conserve
          fuel as
          > the brochure seems to indicate that would really be unacceptable.
          Hot and in
          > traffic is clearly worse than just in traffic! Anybody have
          details?
          > MHenriques, Charlotte
        • bruskig
          Message 4 of 14 , May 16, 2002
            I have a question or two for all you knowledgeable Prius people.
            1) Do I have AC when I'm at a stop sign? What powers the air
            conditioning? With other cars, I believe the compressor is driven
            by the fan belt powered by the engine. How does it work on the
            Prius?
            2)How (when) do you use the "B". Can you use it too much?
            Does the use of the "B" at a high-speed damage anything? I
            accidentally did this at 50MPH! Can you use this to gain more 50
            Wh yellow icons? What does the Wh stand for? Why do I want
            them? I've been focusing on the wonderful gas mileage but
            recently I play a game to se how many icons I can get over the
            span of my trip. Is this stupid because I may damage or over
            work the transmission?
            Thanks!
            bruski
          • scouterpmphx
            Message 5 of 14 , May 16, 2002
              1) Yes, if you listen the ICE will cycle on to power the compressor
              while you're stopped. I assume it is a belt drive. It may use a
              logic that allows the interior temperature to rise a bit more while
              stopped; not sure, but because of the low engine speed while stopped,
              you will find the interior gets a bit hotter and more humid.

              2) B is engine braking, intended for long downhill runs where you
              don't want to ride your brake. There are some posts that discuss
              what happened in B and in R (!) at highway speeds. (Nothing)

              3) "Wh" is Watt-hour, and is a measure of the electrical energy
              recovered as you slow down. It is used to recharge the battery. I
              don't think you can hurt the transmission getting more icons, but you
              are probably wasting gas if you drive to artificially accumulate
              them. Remember that the battery energy comes from the gas, and is
              thus "second hand" (pretending that gas is "first hand", which it
              ain't) energy. You always lose some between hands, so the "Wh" is a
              sort of award for second place. First place is running as steady
              without changes in speed and without touching the brakes.

              Pete M

              --- In toyota-prius@y..., "bruskig" <bruski@s...> wrote:
              > I have a question or two for all you knowledgeable Prius people.
              > 1) Do I have AC when I'm at a stop sign? What powers the air
              > conditioning? With other cars, I believe the compressor is driven
              > by the fan belt powered by the engine. How does it work on the
              > Prius?
              > 2)How (when) do you use the "B". Can you use it too much?
              > Does the use of the "B" at a high-speed damage anything? I
              > accidentally did this at 50MPH! Can you use this to gain more 50
              > Wh yellow icons? What does the Wh stand for? Why do I want
              > them? I've been focusing on the wonderful gas mileage but
              > recently I play a game to se how many icons I can get over the
              > span of my trip. Is this stupid because I may damage or over
              > work the transmission?
              > Thanks!
              > bruski
            • mrvadeboncoeur
              Message 6 of 14 , May 16, 2002
                --- In toyota-prius@y..., "bruskig" <bruski@s...> wrote:
                > I have a question or two for all you knowledgeable Prius people.
                > 1) Do I have AC when I'm at a stop sign? What powers the air
                > conditioning? With other cars, I believe the compressor is driven
                > by the fan belt powered by the engine. How does it work on the
                > Prius?

                I believe that if you have "MAX" on, that the AC does not shut off at stop lights.

                If you only have "AC" on, the gas engine will cycle on and off to keep the compressor going (just like it would if you had the front windshield defroster on in the winter).

                > 2)How (when) do you use the "B". Can you use it too much?
                > Does the use of the "B" at a high-speed damage anything? I
                > accidentally did this at 50MPH! Can you use this to gain more 50
                > Wh yellow icons? What does the Wh stand for? Why do I want
                > them? I've been focusing on the wonderful gas mileage but
                > recently I play a game to se how many icons I can get over the
                > span of my trip. Is this stupid because I may damage or over
                > work the transmission?

                as seen in the Bookmarks > FAQ's section:
                "B" Mode
                How it works--
                http://www.egroups.com/message/toyota-prius/3965

                You do not get any more regenerative braking out of "B" mode than you would see in "D".

                You can use "B" mode too much - you'll notice with lowered MPG (too
                much engine drag slowing you down constantly).

                "Wh" is short for watt-hours.

                The little stars are for the amount of electrical energy that you
                have recaptured from braking (sent to the battery).

                Truth being, you really don't want to see the little stars, unless
                you're coming down a big hill (where you can't help but get them).
                It means that you've been expending energy to get up to a speed, then
                braking a lot (losing that kinetic energy into heat/friction with the
                brakes). Yes, with regenerative braking you get back about 30% of
                the energy that would be lost in braking (and getting stars), but
                you've still lost that 70% by braking. Your best bet is to learn to
                anticipate stops. (I'm still working on this, but my driving is much
                better (more efficient) than it was before I bought my Prius.)
                Working to get lots of stars on the consumption screen will just put
                more stress on your brakes than needed with efficient driving.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2002
                  mrvadeboncoeur wrote:

                  > --- In toyota-prius@y..., "bruskig" <bruski@s...> wrote:
                  > > I have a question or two for all you knowledgeable Prius people.
                  > > 1) Do I have AC when I'm at a stop sign? What powers the air
                  > > conditioning? With other cars, I believe the compressor is driven
                  > > by the fan belt powered by the engine. How does it work on the
                  > > Prius?
                  >
                  > I believe that if you have "MAX" on, that the AC does not shut off at stop lights.

                  and the car quickly becomes a cold as a meat locker!

                  Of course, some folks think the climate control thermostat has only two settings
                  - full left & full right, nothing in between! Does anyone run their home
                  thermostat that way?

                  Pete (observer...)
                • random_6487
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2002
                    --- In toyota-prius@y..., Peter Blackford <PriusPete@e...> wrote:
                    > mrvadeboncoeur wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In toyota-prius@y..., "bruskig" <bruski@s...> wrote:
                    > > > I have a question or two for all you knowledgeable Prius people.
                    > > > 1) Do I have AC when I'm at a stop sign? What powers the air
                    > > > conditioning? With other cars, I believe the compressor is
                    driven
                    > > > by the fan belt powered by the engine. How does it work on the
                    > > > Prius?
                    > >
                    > > I believe that if you have "MAX" on, that the AC does not shut off
                    at stop lights.

                    > and the car quickly becomes a cold as a meat locker!
                    >
                    > Of course, some folks think the climate control thermostat has only
                    two settings
                    > - full left & full right, nothing in between! Does anyone run their
                    home
                    > thermostat that way?
                    >
                    > Pete (observer...)

                    I don't run my Prius thermostat like my home thermostat because it's
                    much closer to me and it controls an "in my face" fan. Yep, I mostly
                    use it as a fan speed control. Wierd, huh? Ok, in the summer, I use
                    it as a real thermostat while the AC is in use. 79 if it's just me,
                    72 if my wife's along for the ride. But most of the year, it's a fan
                    speed control.

                    Robert Snyder
                    NJ-PIKACHU

                    P.S. did you know that icicles can form on your nose at 72? brr.
                    Hope Marcia isn't reading this. :-)
                  • Ryan Weathers
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 21, 2013
                      I have a 2012 Prius. Driving with cold air blowing out vents then all the sudden hot air like the compressor is out. Suggestions?

                      Ryan Weathers
                    • extra_ball_when_lit
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 21, 2013
                        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Weathers <weathersinc@...> wrote:

                        > I have a 2012 Prius. Driving with cold air blowing out vents then
                        > all the sudden hot air like the compressor is out. Suggestions?

                        Unless you've driven a lot of miles...take it to a dealer to be repaired under warranty.

                        Scott
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 21, 2013
                          On May 21, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Ryan Weathers <weathersinc@...> wrote:

                          > I have a 2012 Prius. Driving with cold air blowing out vents then all the sudden hot air like the compressor is out. Suggestions?

                          Collect on your new car warranty.

                        • Ryan Weathers
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 21, 2013
                            I have checked the fuses and they appear to be fine.  I have tried different settings no difference.  I made sure AC was on, restarted the car, let it cool.  This evening I started looking under the hood and decided to check the air filter.. of course there were signs of mice.  There was a good bit of dog food in the engine intake.  I checked the cabin filter and there was a good inch hole in it.  I just exterminated the mice last week in my house, so they are gone for now.  The fan works fine and I cannot find any "chewed", frayed or unplugged wires anywhere without pulling the dash.  I did notice a grinding noise this evening coming from under the hood when I tried to test it again today.

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 22, 2013
                              First check the condition of the cabin air filter. Next is my story.

                              I had a similar problem with my 2004 Prius from about November, 2007(?) to March, 2008 (?). In November, the dealer service department changed out the fan blower.

                              Problem came back in February. Toyota couldn't find anything wrong, but changed out the compressor. Toyota did not want to cover the cost as requested by the female service writer. Found out a former work friend who now worked at the dealer, transferred to the gateway position. I had to talk to him on the phone, mentioned a work nickname and had to almost plead with him to get Toyota to cover the work. Some former work friend he is: I do not know, if he had sexist reaction or power tripping in the whole decision or he just wanted me to just get on the phone and pert near beg him to have it covered.

                              In February, lights came on the dashboard. It indicated that the water pump was going out. 30,000 miles later after the water pump repair, the second water pump was failing. That was repaired out of my pocket.

                              This is my story.

                              Michael J.
                              Houston
                              2010 Prius

                              Sent from my iPhone
                            • Ryan Weathers
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 22, 2013
                                So after spending 3 hours at the dealership, I came home in a new 2013... It was their rental.

                                Basically what was found out with mine is that the compressor ceased up. Said they have never seen that before. New compressor will be there in the morning, but they said that they have to clean the coolant lines to make sure that there are no metal fragments left. They can't tell me if it will be ready tomorrow, but Friday at the latest. They are going ahead and doing the 20k service while it is there. I called back and told them that I wanted it detailed for my inconvenience today.

                                As for the 2013 vs 2012 I cannot find a difference.

                                Ryan Weathers