Tire Issues

  • Michael J. Clements
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2001
      I just finished getting my tire replaced by the local Firestone
      dealer. While waiting, he and I struck up a conversation regarding
      my experiences and those of several postings from this group. He
      called Firestone CC and was told that these tires need to be inflated
      no more than 35/33. Any over inflation will cause excessive sidewall
      stress and potential highway failure. He also told me that Firestone
      is in discussions with Toyota regarding the numerous problems people
      are having with the current tires on the Prius.

      My suggestion to the group is to keep the pressure up on Toyota as
      FIrestone developed these tires in direct consultation with the auto
      manufacturer. Has anyone gotten any communication from Priusman
      regarding the tires and what Toyota was going to do?

      My last trip to Toyota for service resulted in the tires being
      inflated 38/36 to try to even out the tread wear. Firestone stated
      that unless this is not in keeping with the design specs on these
      tires.

      Thoughts?
    • jimklausen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1 3:16 PM
        Hi Group:

        I was at my Toyota dealer for scheduled service and got to
        talking to the Service Rep while waiting for the car. We got on
        the tire issue and he said Toyota is/will be changing the
        geometry of the front end slightly and Bridgestone will be
        hardening up the tire rubber to increase wear resistance.

        For what it's worth,
        Jim