NAV update

  • Dianne Whitmire
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 2001
      This might be an odd question, but if one person (me) purchases a NAV
      update annually... I wonder if we can all update systems with it? Is this a
      proprietary thing? Like, I buy the NAV update and we all mail it to each
      other to upgrade? Like a round-robin thing?

      Dianne

    • mr2speedster@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2001
        If anyone is interested in checking out the NAV system operation, go drive a
        new Landcruiser with the system in it, as it is very similar to the operation
        of the Prius system. I had the opportunity to play with the NAV system in a
        preproduction 01 Prius when I took my training for the car, and the system in
        the Cruiser is very similar.

        John Reed
        Beaverton Toyota
      • Bo Pierce
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 21, 2001
          The NAV update is a new/replacement DVD or CDROM (whatever they are
          using for data storage). So, you take out the old one and insert the
          new. The only way you could share it would be if you could copy the
          media. Possible with CDROM these days - but if they use a DVD - the
          copy equipment - if available - is pretty expensive.

          Bo

          This might be an odd question, but if one person (me) purchases a NAV
          update annually... I wonder if we can all update systems with it? Is
          this a
          proprietary thing? Like, I buy the NAV update and we all mail it to each

          other to upgrade? Like a round-robin thing?

          Dianne

          At 01:54 AM 8/21/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >There is a lot of info, and I'm not going to type or even scan it
          >all in :-) However, if anyone wants to ask questions, I'll answer
          >as best I can.
          >
          >Burns
          >LOWCO2 - NH
          >Just navigate it!

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • bpierce@nova.org

          • burns_fisher@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 2001
              That does not sound appropriate to me. It's software and data on
              that DVD. As one who produces software and data for a living, I
              would not want to do that.

              And aside from whether it "feels right", the book has lots of
              copyright notices and "proprietary information" warnings about the
              maps, so I doubt it would be kosher. Besides, it is a DVD. Someone
              would need a DVD burner. (Is it encrypted too?)

              Burns

              --- In toyota-prius@y..., Dianne Whitmire <dianne@e...> wrote:
              > This might be an odd question, but if one person (me) purchases a
              NAV
              > update annually... I wonder if we can all update systems with it?
              Is this a
              > proprietary thing? Like, I buy the NAV update and we all mail it to
              each
              > other to upgrade? Like a round-robin thing?
              >
              > Dianne
              >

              > At 01:54 AM 8/21/01 +0000, you wrote:
              > >There is a lot of info, and I'm not going to type or even scan it
              > >all in :-) However, if anyone wants to ask questions, I'll answer
              > >as best I can.
              > >
              > >Burns
              > >LOWCO2 - NH
              > >Just navigate it!
            • Sandra H Rawe
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 2001
                I bet you have to leave it in the DVD under the seat or whatever is
                there. Is it a copyable DVD, would be the question. I don't know where I
                read that the main data was on DVD.
                Sandy

              • mschmit@ix.netcom.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2001
                  First off, of course it is counter to the copyright laws to make
                  copies of the NAV data and allow others to use it. I'm sure that the
                  license would specifically say that it is for a single vehicle only.

                  But, from a technical point of view -- could you make a copy of a
                  DVD? You can get a DVD-R/RW drive today for about $800 (dropping to
                  $500 by next year for sure). However, due to industry patent fighting
                  (and release of DVD-Video before this was worked out), any existing
                  DVD drive has only about a 80-90% chance of being able to read that
                  DVD-R disc (partially due to the drives, partially due to marginal
                  media). This is being worked out, but DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+RW
                  as well as version 1.0 and 2.0 of some of those are still battling it
                  out for acceptance.

                  Even if that might work, there are two other possible ways that the
                  NAV content owners can make the discs not copyable. First, they could
                  make the discs dual-layered -- no DVD-R (or any other) can write on
                  two layers. (Reportedly, this is what Microsoft will be doing with
                  the X-Box games). Second, every pressed DVD-ROM disc can have a ID or
                  individual serial number put on it. This is a bar-code-like data area
                  of ~178 bytes of data on the inner ring, not in the data area, but in
                  a space known as the BCA (burst cutting area). No writeable DVD media
                  can copy this -- they have no way of writing it. All DVD-ROM drives
                  can read it, so the software would just need to read this and find a
                  valid number.

                  Finally, for those that know about the CSS encryption used for
                  movies -- this won't work for data, so it won't/can't be used.

                  Mike

                  --- In toyota-prius@y..., Sandra H Rawe <shrawe@j...> wrote:
                  > I bet you have to leave it in the DVD under the seat or whatever is
                  > there. Is it a copyable DVD, would be the question. I don't know
                  where I
                  > read that the main data was on DVD.
                  > Sandy
                  >
                  > On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:43:14 -0700 Dianne Whitmire <dianne@e...>
                  > writes:
                  > > This might be an odd question, but if one person (me) purchases a
                  NAV
                  > update annually... I wonder if we can all update systems with it?
                  Is
                  > > this a proprietary thing? Like, I buy the NAV update and we all
                  mail it
                  > to each other to upgrade? Like a round-robin thing?
                  > > Dianne
                • Bill Powell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
                    --- In toyota-prius@y..., Dianne Whitmire <dianne@e...> wrote:
                    Without looking at other replies first....

                    > This might be an odd question, but if one person (me) purchases a
                    > NAV update annually... I wonder if we can all update systems with
                    > it?
                    The DVD must be in the ECU to use the NAV: that's where the data
                    resides. Just like a video DVD: put it in the player to watch the
                    movie. Take it out: the movie stops.
                    Gotta have that DVD _IN_ the ECU.

                    > Is this a proprietary thing?
                    Just slightly, considering that Toyota undoubtedly pays a healthy per-
                    copy locensing fee.

                    > Like, I buy the NAV update and we all mail it to each
                    > other to upgrade? Like a round-robin thing?
                    DIANNE! SHAME!
                    Practice sitting for 16 hours in a closet with your hands together;
                    your inner wrists touching.

                    They're trying to hang a Russian (NOT a US) citizen out your way for
                    much, much less - and what he did, didn't even take place in the US.
                    Of course, he isn't a US citizen and doesn't apparently have any
                    First Ammendment rights.
                    And you are proposing to do what?

                    bp
                    (Who? ME? A pirate?)
                  • Bill Powell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
                      --- In toyota-prius@y..., burns_fisher@y... wrote:
                      <snip>
                      > maps, so I doubt it would be kosher. Besides, it is a DVD.
                      > Someone would need a DVD burner. (Is it encrypted too?)
                      Burners (single-side - don't know if they can do dual layer...) have
                      recently hit the market in the $400 to $600 rage.
                      They would make a great backup device: 5.2 or so GIG.
                      BUT
                      Media is in the $33 (each) range and likely to remain at that level
                      for quite some time. DAT (4mm or 8mm ) tape is still cheaper... :-(

                      The other "kicker" would be if the NAV uses double-sided
                      media: "consumer grade" burners simply don't exist and it is HIGHLY
                      unlikely that they will ever become available without a MEGA fight
                      from Hollyweird.

                      bp
                      (My NAV update is on order: New maps for the blonde.)