Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Terrible MPG

  • Mark Binder
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 1, 2000
      Recommended octane according to the manual is 87, which is what we use.

      After poring over the manual & Toyota's websites I became familiar with the Engery/Consumption screens, got the Toyota dealer's shop manager to drive the track car around with me for a while, and then drove our own car(actually, the wife's, so I don't get to use it that much...) the exact same route today. Whereas the track car was getting around 45.6, we only got 40.2, and I was EXYTREMELY careful to go no faster than 43(all local main drags, no highway, etc...).

      The screen is telling me that when the car moves forward it is ALWAYS using the ICE, no matter how excruciatingly slow I try to go, using the battery only in revers. The ICE shuts down only when coasting. In my travels today I went right by the dealer, and spent 20 minutes ith the salesman, who is very concerned with this matter. Tomorrow(monday) I will tell the tale to the Service Manager. We suggested that then they take the car in to try to figure out what the story is, we borrow their own track car.. In this manner we should see whether it is my wife's driving habits(which we most seriously doubt) or the car...

      I'll keep the world posted, and many thanx for all the suggestions...Mark