Oil useage 2010 Prius

  • shoe_99
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2017

      Using 1 quart every 2000 miles in my 2010 Prius with 135,000 miles

      Any suggestions I feel this is excessive did not do this 1st 100,000 miles.

      Toyota  manual Page 428 for this car states over  max of 1 quart every 600 miles is abnormal for car of any mileage. I don't believe the manual.

      Any thoughts from Group?

    • Mark Bayern

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2017
          I finally got a reply from toyota

          They said I should  deal with dealers they are  not taking responsibility for dealer doing unnecessary repairs usage is "normal". Nothing to repair.
          Can our group help me?

          Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26, 2017
            My 2006 Prius with 190,000 miles is probably using about the same amount.
          • Tom Keenan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2017
              My 2005 with just over 100k miles barely uses any oil between changes. My opinion is that anything over 1/2 quart between oil changes is excessive. Three basic reasons for oil use:  bad rings, bad valve guides, or (if you notice a lot of oil under the car when parked) a bad gasket/seal.

              Tom Keenan

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26, 2017
                Agree with Tom, but depends how long between changes.
                I tend to do the "European" thing, even while in USA, meaning that
                I will change oil and filter after approx 9000 miles.
                Most my cars have no issue with that.
                But I have a 2005 with 300k+ miles that goes below MIN within 5k miles, so I need to add oil halfway.
                Friends of me bought a 2002 with a bad inverter water pump cheap, so for $1k they have a very nice low mileage car after I swapped a pump from a NHW-20 into their car. However, they recently called me that they had a warning light and poured 2 quarts of oil in before they saw oil on the dipstick....
                I checked the errors and all seemed to be related to the ICE, so I cleared them and the car is working fine again - I hope they have learned that their car *is* using oil. Don't know how much they drove it in the last year.
                My wife was on the road for several hours during the past year and did over 10k mi between oil changes and the level was still not below MIN (from halfway between MIN and MAX).
                So, the short of it is that oil consumption varies with engine wear, some wear earlier than others.
                It also depends on how heavy the engine is loaded, I have caused high oil losses in an older BMW by
                lugging the engine (driving up a mountain's winding road in 5th gear, just to show off its torque).
                1 quart per 600 mi (1000km) sounds quite excessive but it is quite possible with a worn engine that
                is working hard. Modern engines without much wear will typically not use even a quart between oil changes.
                But find a pickup truck with half a million miles on the original engine and you will see it use oil at the
                rate of at least a quart per 1000mi.
                Cor.