Hub caps...

  • P B
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014
      Hi all!

      I just purchased a used 2010 Prius that I like very much so far. I had 2007... -Good car.
      I took off the hub caps on my 2007 and wanted to do the same on the newer car.
      What, pray tell are the ramifications? Will I lose that much highway MPG?
      Toyota must think so, as they added these and as such added to the cost of the vehicle.
      But underneath are alloys that I would much rather display. Any thoughts?

      BTW:
      Wish list...
      Shaded windshield
      Sun shades that extend when pushed to the side. The sun still manages to blind without that little pull extension sometimes...

      Pete in Bradenton FL

      Sent from my iPad
    • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014
        Our top line with max packages includes some pretty rinky-dink (not to mention fragine) plastic hubcaps. (One of them is already pretty beat up.) I'd certainly love to take those off too! Soon after we bought the car, an old friend--car fancier at that--saw it and when I said the wheels underneath the plastic were mag (actually aluminium, of course) he went to get a magnet to test them! He was so sure they were ordinary steel wheels painted 'mag color'! He was visibly astonished when his magnet did not stick.

        [Our 50th anniversary, on the other hand, has impressive 15-spoke graphite finished wheels....]

        David and Jodi
        N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
        W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W
        )

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2014
          Sorry for the slow reply Pete.

          Our 2010 came with no wheel covers - no problems.

          I didn't really care for the look of the empty hole in the middle of the wheel though, so I got a set of caps like these:

          They were generic Chinese knock-offs (at about 10% dealer price) but I was fairly impressed with the fit and finish.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2014
            Our 2007 Touring has those rinky-dink plastic things on the wheels! Sure would love to throw those away (one's already looking specially bad) and put on some pretty little caps like these you're showing, but wonder if they'd fit 2007?

            David and Jodi
            N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
            W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W
            )

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2014
                On Feb 28, 2014, at 1:06 AM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                > Our 2007 Touring has those rinky-dink plastic things on the wheels! Sure would love to throw those away (one's already looking specially bad) and put on some pretty little caps like these you're showing, but wonder if they'd fit 2007?

                Have noticed many think the 2007 non-touring looks better without the plastic trim rings. Perhaps you would like your touring better without? Basically the beauty ring only hides wheel weights.

              • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2014
                  I would never have called it a "Beauty ring?!

                  David and Jodi
                  N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                  W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W
                  )

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2014
                    On Mar 2, 2014, at 3:00 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                    > I would never have called it a "Beauty ring?!

                    Nonetheless I believe that is the correct technical term for a trim ring on an automotive wheel. My 2001 Sonoma came without. I wanted a set but not at the dealer’s prices. Salvage yards were also prouder of them than I. So I never had any. Then again I knew I was buying a Cheap Truck:

                    http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/truck/NewTruck.JPG

                  • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2014
                      first time one of my old automotive friends saw our shiny new Prius Touring, he immediately assumed our wheels were steel alloy wheels painted to look like "mag" and mostly concealed by the cheap-cheap plastic thing! (He felt so sure the wheels were steel he got a magnet to test them, in order to prove to me they were fake "mags".....

                      David and Jodi
                      N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                      W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W
                      )

                      > I would never have called it a "Beauty ring?!

                      Nonetheless I believe that is the correct technical term for a trim ring on an automotive wheel. My 2001 Sonoma came without. I wanted a set but not at the dealer’s prices. Salvage yards were also prouder of them than I. So I never had any. Then again I knew I was buying a Cheap Truck:

                      http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/truck/NewTruck.JPG

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          toyota-prius-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          toyota-prius-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • Brett Evans
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2014
                        Working at a dealership beauty ring would be an appropriate term

                        Brett Evans
                        Auto Finance Super Center

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2014
                          On Mar 4, 2014, at 8:56 AM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                          > first time one of my old automotive friends saw our shiny new Prius Touring, he immediately assumed our wheels were steel alloy wheels painted to look like "mag" and mostly concealed by the cheap-cheap plastic thing! (He felt so sure the wheels were steel he got a magnet to test them, in order to prove to me they were fake "mags".....

                          A real �mag� would be made of magnesium not aluminum.

                        • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 15 10:42 AM
                            Our 2007 Touring certainly looks better without the "beauty rings" (what an obscene expression!) Visible wheel balancing weights would not be near as ugly as the "beauty rings"!

                            David and Jodi
                            N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                            W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W
                            )