Re: [toyota-prius] House power out-Prius to the rescue.

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2013
      On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:18 PM, andyman68@... wrote:

      > I received a survey from Honda recently asking if I would be interested in a car that could serve as a generator for a house. They asked the wattage I would be interested, price I would pay for the feature, and how much I would pay to install the wiring for the home.

      I wouldn't pay much because this should be a standard feature of EV's and hybrids.

      2000W makes things start to become interesting. 1000W is relatively easy to implement on Prius already.

      > I would be interested in such a feature if it is enough wattage to power my refrigerator. There have been a few times the power has gone out long enough that the food starts to warm up.

      April 2011 I was without power for 7 days when tornados ripped through the southeast. My Honda EU2000i generator kept refrigerator, lights, and TV operational. And a long extension cord powered my next door neighbor's refrigerator until "grandma" kept plugging in an electric heater. A spare EU2000i kept my neighbors across the street running.

      Solved the electric heater problem by putting them on a powerstrip with 10A circuit breaker. This way only their line was interrupted, the entire generator didn't blow its master circuit breaker. Sorry old lady but temperatures were above 70°F, blankets and sweaters don't require any power, and your house has a fireplace.