Re: Need to do a shut down and then everything works

  • cor_van_de_water
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
      Roger,
      I second Larry that you should find a different dealer.
      The problem you describe (especially the high revving engine and
      lack of power) point to an out of balance Hybrid battery, possibly
      a bad module, possibly the entire battery is worn out.
      I had the same identical behavior after I fixed the engine in my
      159k mi 2002 and after replacing the Hybrid battery with a good
      used one, the car is now driving as it should.
      After spending $350 I would expect that the dealer has at least
      given you the error codes that they could find in the computer?
      That will definitely tell which problem that the car was suffering
      from when the dealer looked at it (even though they were suggesting
      to start with the transaxle)
      Do call the dealer if you do not have the codes and insist that
      they give them to you - for that much money they can go through the
      trouble of finding them at least. After that, don't go back.
      BTW, the codes look like a P with a number, for example P1300
      but also demand that they tell you the "sub-codes" which is a
      further pointer to the exact problem under the generic trouble code
      which just points to a certain module in the car.
      BTW, I can point you to a local EV'er who has collected several
      Classic Prius Hybrid batteries many years ago and is now selling
      them for a reasonable price.
      Success!

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2013
        There are a lot of things you don't mention, such as how many miles are on each car, and whether you have any idea of the service history.  As good as Prius are overall, things still do eventually age and wear.  It may be a coolant pump which is failing, but that's just one possible cause.
        If you share your location, there might well be an independent service shop which others could recommend.
        If you're looking for someone to wave a magic wand and solve the problem, that's unlikely....
        Pete