RE: [toyota-prius] Re: How to replace bulb

  • Forums
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2013
      Be aware that right after tapping the fender or light housing to get the
      bulb to re-light you want to go to the auto parts store and get a new bulb.
      Chances are you are accomplishing a temporary fix.

      A little science or physics: The way conventional and halogen bulbs work is
      to run a current through a special wire called a filament'. This filament
      is strung between two or more posts inside the glass bulb. Look closely at
      a new bulb and you can sometimes see this structure. This filament is
      actually a wire that has a specific amount of resistance to passing
      electrical current. When the current is passed through the filament it gets
      hot and glows. Hence the light.

      When a bulb 'burns out' it is typically because the constant heat of
      illumination causes the filament to break in two or more pieces. (This is
      why you hear a rattle when shaking burnt out household bulbs.) If there are
      two pieces hanging somewhat close together, jarring the bulb by tapping
      sometimes causes them to 'bounce' and come in contact with each other. If
      the current is on at this time, they sometimes become welded together and
      the current path is restored.

      Typically you will actually notice that the bulb is brighter than usual-
      this is because the filament is shorter which presents less resistance to
      current flow hence a brighter glow. This also causes more heat in the
      filament and it will most likely burn out (again) in very short order.

      I have actually pulled this stunt while getting my car inspected. Lasts
      long enough to get my sticker and get back home to change the bulb.

      Now keep in mind that 'sometimes' when you are banging on the fender you are
      jarring the bulb where it sits in the socket and re-seating it or shaking a
      connection in the wiring harness. Those fixes may last longer than welding
      the filament, but chances the failure will return on a dark foggy night with
      a police car in the vicinity.

      Jm2c

      Ray L.