First Long Trip Mileage

  • Doug Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
      Hi, Folks...

      As promised, here's the results of my round-trip mileage, from
      north-central Indiana, to western Oregon, and return. (2013 Prius, with
      1700 miles on it...)

      Total trip mileage: 4,645 miles.

      Average gas mileage: 64.27

      High mileage point: 68.9, in Nebraska, with wind pushing me eastward.

      Lowest mileage: 58.4, climbing the Strawberry Range, in East/Central
      Oregon.

      For what it's worth! (And yes...my bladder didn't hold out, between gas
      fills! :-)

      Doug Howard
      Flora, Indiana
    • Tad
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
        Impressive numbers Doug!

        Can you share info about what speeds you were going to get such great
        numbers?

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
          On Aug 2, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Doug Howard <hdouglas.doug@...> wrote:

          > As promised, here's the results of my round-trip mileage, from
          > north-central Indiana, to western Oregon, and return. (2013 Prius, with
          > 1700 miles on it...)
          >
          > Total trip mileage: 4,645 miles.
          >
          > Average gas mileage: 64.27

          Am guessing the 2013 Prius doesn't indicate MPG the 100th so the above is total miles driven divided by the total gallons consumed? Its not the Fool Computer's imagination?

          Also note "total miles / total gallons" is not the same as averaging MPG for each tank unless each tank is exactly the same gallons each time. Mathematical proof is left as an exercise for the reader but consider this: If you drive 20 miles at 20 MPG and 20 miles at 60 MPG, what is your trip average MPG? If you said 40 MPG then you lose. The answer is 30 MPG because you drove 40 miles consuming 1-1/3rd gallons.

          Doug is getting exceptionally good MPG. His Prius must be broken. :-)
          Cruise on 70 MPH 42-45 MPG in winter with A/C off is the best I can do.

          I've not been to Flora, only got as near as Kokomo. Go to Warsaw a time or two each year.