My first Prius

  • gypsyeyes197671
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
      Hi everyone. About 3 weeks ago my husband bought me a used 02 Prius mainly so I could get around on my own. Prior to this we had been sharing a 98 Monte Carlo for years. Well, this past weekend was my first time putting it on the hwy. Our main Hwy speed is around 70 and up. So, you can guess my fear surprise when the car was pushing to get to 60 on the ramp and it wasn't fast enough. (I'm about 40 min from NYC on a good day). At first I thought it was me going crazy, then I thought that something was wrong with the car. From what I have found online it says the acceleration is slow. But, my friends have told me they have seen prius pass them on the hwy. I found it a struggle to get to the speed let alone keep up. Much different than my monte carlo. Can you tell me how it is to drive your Prius or if there are threads I can look at to help me.
    • Levi Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
        It's probably going to be considerably slower than your Monte Carlo.
        However, if you push the accelerator to the floor, you should have no
        trouble getting to 60 or 70mph. It should even go to close to 100mph, but
        it will need considerable room to get there. And if you have hills you're
        going up, it will be slower. I'm not sure if yours has cruise control or
        not. If so, you should have no trouble putting the pedal to the floor on
        the ramp, but it might not be going 70mph by the end of the ramp, but once
        there, cruise control should keep it right at that speed.

        It's hard to say without knowing more. It's certainly not a fast car, but
        it should have no trouble getting at and keeping speed...

        Levi

        On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:05 AM, gypsyeyes197671
        <gypsyeyes197671@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi everyone. About 3 weeks ago my husband bought me a used 02 Prius mainly
        > so I could get around on my own. Prior to this we had been sharing a 98
        > Monte Carlo for years. Well, this past weekend was my first time putting it
        > on the hwy. Our main Hwy speed is around 70 and up. So, you can guess my
        > fear surprise when the car was pushing to get to 60 on the ramp and it
        > wasn't fast enough. (I'm about 40 min from NYC on a good day). At first I
        > thought it was me going crazy, then I thought that something was wrong with
        > the car. From what I have found online it says the acceleration is slow.
        > But, my friends have told me they have seen prius pass them on the hwy. I
        > found it a struggle to get to the speed let alone keep up. Much different
        > than my monte carlo. Can you tell me how it is to drive your Prius or if
        > there are threads I can look at to help me.

      • Leslie A. Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
          I haven't had any problem with acceleration in my 2008 Prius--in fact, I was pleasantly surprised by its pickup when I took it on a little tour of the West Texas Caprock the first weekend after I bought it.  Maybe there've been improvements since the 2002 model?

          Leslie =^..^=
          2008 Prius ("Black Betty")

          http://las794.blogspot.com/

          >________________________________

        • Baard Riiber
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
            Hi,

            Just press the pedal to the floor and hold it there until you reach the
            speed you want. Ignore the noise from the engine even though it may sound
            like it's about to blow up. The computer will not let you push the engine
            too hard.

            The Prius may not be the fastest car around, but I have no problem keeping
            up with the main stream of traffic on the German Autobahn going 80-100 MPH
            with my Prius 2001. However, the Prius is not very stable at high speed so
            if it's windy or if there are a lot of trucks, I prefer not to go faster
            than 80 MPH.

            -Baard

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
              Dumb question, but were you flooring it? :) Is it an unusually steep
              and/or short ramp?

              Probably not going to be as fast as your MC, but should have no problem
              accelerating safely.

              I wonder if the car is up to date on maintenance? A dirty air filter, for
              example, would hurt your acceleration.

              On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:05 AM, gypsyeyes197671
              <gypsyeyes197671@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi everyone. About 3 weeks ago my husband bought me a used 02 Prius mainly
              > so I could get around on my own. Prior to this we had been sharing a 98
              > Monte Carlo for years. Well, this past weekend was my first time putting it
              > on the hwy. Our main Hwy speed is around 70 and up. So, you can guess my
              > fear surprise when the car was pushing to get to 60 on the ramp and it
              > wasn't fast enough. (I'm about 40 min from NYC on a good day). At first I
              > thought it was me going crazy, then I thought that something was wrong with
              > the car. From what I have found online it says the acceleration is slow.
              > But, my friends have told me they have seen prius pass them on the hwy. I
              > found it a struggle to get to the speed let alone keep up. Much different
              > than my monte carlo. Can you tell me how it is to drive your Prius or if
              > there are threads I can look at to help me.

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
                Hi,

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "gypsyeyes197671" <gypsyeyes197671@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone. About 3 weeks ago my husband bought me a used
                > 02 Prius mainly so I could get around on my own. Prior to this
                > we had been sharing a 98 Monte Carlo for years.

                We call it a goin' for groceries car. My primary commuting car is the 2003 Prius.

                > Well, this past weekend was my first time putting it on the
                > hwy. Our main Hwy speed is around 70 and up.

                That can be a problem. The car cruses most efficiently at 65 mph, ~52 MPG. At 70 mph, it drops to 49 MPG and 75 mph, down to 39 MPG.

                > So, you can guess my fear surprise when the car was pushing to
                > get to 60 on the ramp and it wasn't fast enough. (I'm about
                > 40 min from NYC on a good day).

                It does not have the power-to-weight ratio of many other cars. However, I've had mine up to 100 mph getting 22 MPG. Just it puts a strain on the car.

                > At first I thought it was me going crazy, then I thought
                > that something was wrong with the car. From what I have
                > found online it says the acceleration is slow.

                I've never had a problem with acceleration but then I'm trying to save gas and let the car run as long as possible.

                > But, my friends have told me they have seen prius pass them on
                > the hwy. I found it a struggle to get to the speed let alone
                > keep up. Much different than my monte carlo.

                It is a car built for efficiency.

                > Can you tell me how it is to drive your Prius or if there
                > are threads I can look at to help me.

                Nothing will convert that car in to a fast accelerating, Monte Carlo. It will save a lot of gasoline but if you need speed, wrong car.

                What I'm going to do is recommend learning how to drive on cruise control. Once you get above 25 mph, hit the button on the end to enable cruise control. Tap the lever down to "set" the speed. Thereafter, simply adjust the speed with the lever.

                Hold the lever up to accelerate to your target speed and release. If you need to bleed of some speed, tap the cruise control lever down for about a 1/4 second for 1 mph change. Tap it up to go faster.

                But if you have to 'go fast,' you are never going to be happy with that car. Start looking for cars and do the following:

                weight / engine_power - go for the car with the lowest ratio

                You'll get the speed you crave and if you can afford the gas . . . have a happy.

                Bob Wilson
              • Reynolds
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
                  As a 2001Prius owner with over 330k driving my car, I can assure you that the Prius has no issues doing 80 miles an hour for hours on end. It is not THE Prius, but it may be YOUR Prius. BTW the 2001 and 2002 are exactly the same -- think the '02 came with a 5 CD changer and cruise control -- no other substantive differences to my knowledge.

                  The shift indicator was probably in "B" which is the last position to the right on the dash. You should move the drive selector to "D" when driving and you should then experience normal driving responsiveness. Don't drive any considerable distance in B. It is for extreme inclines only.

                  The other possibility is that someone unloaded this car because it was experiencing transaxle issues or even the traction battery is going out. I hope this is not the case as it is an expensive fix for the traction battery.

                  Keep us informed on what you find.

                  Reynolds
                • docthomas04@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
                    I drive my '08 Prius just like all my other vehicles... and I pass other cars all the time...I'm always surprised how much pep it has while getting 46 mpg.

                    The information contained in this transmission is definitely legally privileged and confidential information intended ONLY for the use of the intended recipient. IF you are NOT the intended recipient. the review,dissemination,distribution,copying, or presenting of this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this message in error.... PLEASE notify me by telephone 928 684 5390.
                    THANKS
                    doc
                    Benjamin Jake Canyon Thomas will not be forgotten....

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
                      There have been improvements in speed with each generation, but I don't
                      recall my 2003 being much slower than my 2004.

                    • Betty
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
                        On 7/31/2013 5:16 PM, Levi Smith wrote:

                        > There have been improvements in speed with each generation, but I don't
                        > recall my 2003 being much slower than my 2004.

                        We have NEVER had a problem with speed in our 2003. There were a few
                        times that we would not pay attention and notice that we were driving
                        faster than the speed limit -- it runs so quietly that we don't notice
                        the "revving" of the engine as we speed up as pure gasoline engines
                        often do.

                        I think getting comfortable with the car and learning how it feels to
                        operate is the secret. Also, when we first got ours, numerous people
                        joked by comparing our car to a glorified golf cart. When we explained
                        that when both the battery power kicks in along with the gasoline
                        engine, we have as much power as many cars have. "The Prius' electric
                        motor has a power output of 80 horsepower, or 60 kilowatts, with a
                        maximum voltage of 650 volts. The combined power of the hybrid battery
                        and the electric motor generates 134 horsepower."
                        Read more:
                        http://www.ehow.com/list_7610934_power-requirements-prius-battery-pack.html#ixzz2afKpK86L

                        It's just seems to be a matter of learning how to accelerate when
                        entering a freeway or passing another car. We just drive it like we did
                        our Buick Park Avenue. (Of course, the 75 mph and even 85 mph speed
                        limits are relatively new on most highways. We all are having to get
                        accustomed to that!)

                        Betty & Tommy in Texas
                        2003 Classic Super White "Snowflake"; 65,000+ wonderful miles
                        http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org

                      • Joe's Morgue
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                          Hmmm.... I drive an '7 and LOVE it. I I avoid the highway when possible because of fuel economy, not speed. I have accidentally gotten mine up to 84 without realizing it. [In a 70MPH zone]

                          People on here have said air filter. I say possible.
                          Spark plugs?
                          Basic tune up?

                          The "B" position could hurt acceleration, but I doubt it. If I understand correctly, it will keep the engine drag on when you take your foot off the accelerator, but will not slow you down.