Re: Prius Doesn't pencil out? - Please Advise

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 121 , Jul 25, 2013
      That is absolutely NOT TRUE
      It may have been the case in the past, but not anymore.

      90% of Conventional Cars Meet their EPA ratings today.

      See page 50 of the August 2013 issue of Consumer Reports.
      More than 1/2 of Hybrids DO NOT meet there EPA ratings
      But 90% Of regular cars DO.

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Larry Finch <finches@...> wrote:

      > In the 40-odd years that there have been EPA Ratings there has never been a
      > car that gets near the ratings for whatever car it is. Perhaps you are too
      > young to remember ;)
      >
      > The purpose of EPA ratings is to compare cars using a common yardstick. If
      > you drove exactly the pattern used to determine the EPA ratings you would
      > get those ratings with any car, but it is a very precise set of rules and
      > road conditions. Actually, for most of those years it was done in the
      > laboratory on a dynamometer. It probably still is.
      >

      > > -Technology which limits you to Dealer or DIY maintenance.
      > >

      > Not my experience. I have done most of my own maintenance for the past 10
      > years. The hybrid drivetrain needs to be done by certified techs, but I've
      > had no problems with it in 10 years, and if I had it would have been
      > covered by warranty.
      >

      > > -Flimsy Construction.
      > >

      > Really? Not my experience.
      >

      > > -Voice control simply does not work.
      > >

      > Well, my 2003 didn't have it, but it works very well in my 2012 plugin.
      > Voice recognition is very hard. It is a field I have worked in; the
      > technology has improved dramatically in the past 5 years. I'm really
      > impressed by the 2012. I can just read off an address and the nav gets it
      > right.
      >

      > > -Way to expensive for what you get.
      > >
      > > Very subjective. My 2003 has cost less than any equivalent car. I'm sure I
      > could have gotten a cheaper car, but it would have been a cheaper car.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --
      > Larry Finch
      >
      > N 40° 53' 47"
      > W 74° 03' 56"

    • Jim Saklad
      Message 121 of 121 , Aug 13, 2013
        >> I have a 2007 Prius and a 2012 Prius V and have never gotten anywhere near 30 mpg. Both cars always get 40 mpg or better. The only situation where I could imagine this happening is if the car is driven only a mile or two each way to work or the store and nothing else.
        >
        > A 18 km (~11miles) commute (each way) in -20C weather could easily get in the mid-low 30s. The engine just would never get up to temp, and there would likely be some snow on the road to increase rolling resistance.

        And anyone who drives regularly in -20ºC weather *really* should have a block heater....

        Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...