Re: [toyota-prius] Need to replace our Prius.

  • Larry Finch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
      On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM, lasrer <ed@...> wrote:

      > My wife got into an accident when a school bus with a 83 year old driver
      > pulled out into the road while she was there. They are totaling the car,
      > 2008 Prius. My wife is fine.
      >
      > So there is a 2009 Prius for sale near us. Car Fax that says the valve
      > gasket was just replaced. Is this a sign of a troublesome ICE or just
      > maintenance?

      Replacing the valve cover gasket (if that's what was meant) is a minor
      repair that's a DIY job, but I'd be concerned about why it needed to be
      replaced. It's normally a part that lasts forever, unless the valve cover
      needed to be removed for some reason. Then it is routine to replace it.
      Usually you remove the valve cover to adjust the valves, which is not
      something that is frequently needed. Ask the seller to see the repair order
      history.

      best regards,
      Larry

      --
      Larry Finch

      N 40° 53' 47"
      W 74° 03' 56"

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2013
        On Jul 13, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Larry Finch <finches@...> wrote:

        > Replacing the valve cover gasket (if that's what was meant) is a minor
        > repair that's a DIY job, but I'd be concerned about why it needed to be
        > replaced. It's normally a part that lasts forever, unless the valve cover
        > needed to be removed for some reason. Then it is routine to replace it.
        > Usually you remove the valve cover to adjust the valves, which is not
        > something that is frequently needed. Ask the seller to see the repair order
        > history.

        If a dealer checked the valves (which is supposed to be a 60,000 mile item) then gasket should not be listed as the service performed no matter the gasket was replaced. But if it had the proper 60k service (which few get) and was performed sloppily then one might expect to see a service order to replace the gasket.

        Sometimes customers complain for no good reason but the service manager sees an opportunity to charge Toyota to replace a valve cover gasket, and does so.