RE: [toyota-prius] Mileage Report

  • Chris Wells
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 3, 2013
      > Ok, but your though goes out the window when the 89 octane E10 is the SAME
      price as the non-E10 87 octane at the other stations.

      Not at all, if you were paying attention. If you were paying attention I
      said if you have a supply of *any* grade/blend/brand of fuel which produces
      4 MPG improvement for only $0.10/gallon extra then by all means stick with
      what works. But don't go off believing that just because that fuel was
      labeled 89 octane that the same results can be had with all 89 octane
      sources.

      Octane *rating* is not a measure of energy content because it says nothing
      about the composition of the fuel, only its anti-knock properties. Octane
      percentage is useful as an energy content measure but octane rating only
      compares anti-knock properties to pure octane/heptane mixes.

      snip

      If you can't burn the gas as long due to the low octane rating then the
      efficiency of pulling the energy out of the gas goes down.

      The low octane knock causes the engine control module to reduce the spark
      advance and reduce the burn time.

      That all translates to an effect on mpg which I believe is worth looking
      into.

      Of course there are many variables here that the group is aptly spinning and
      sharing.

      Chris

    • Walter Lee
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 11, 2013
        Driving conditions make a big difference in fuel efficency - especially with the Prius and especially if you know some hypermiling tricks.
        Sofar in over three years of driving my overall fuel efficiency calculated has been from 44 to 71 mpg depending on the overall driving conditions.
        My (Scangauge2)  fuel efficiency estimates per trip has vary even wider from about 11 mpg to 132  mpg depending on the driving conditions.
        The Prius' HSI display  fuel efficiency display estimates more optimistic .