Re: [toyota-prius] Mileage Report

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2013
      On Jul 1, 2013, at 7:15 AM, raddefense <sharingguy@...> wrote:

      > Ok, but your though goes out the window when the 89 octane E10 is the SAME price as the non-E10 87 octane at the other stations.

      Not at all, if you were paying attention. If you were paying attention I said if you have a supply of *any* grade/blend/brand of fuel which produces 4 MPG improvement for only $0.10/gallon extra then by all means stick with what works. But don't go off believing that just because that fuel was labeled 89 octane that the same results can be had with all 89 octane sources.

      Octane *rating* is not a measure of energy content because it says nothing about the composition of the fuel, only its anti-knock properties. Octane percentage is useful as an energy content measure but octane rating only compares anti-knock properties to pure octane/heptane mixes.

      > A far as Walmart, I have bought some Walmart gas and it's just as good as any other. However, some are junk. I regularly make a trip to Iowa and there is one Walmart that has great gas and I buy there when the price is right. Same with one semi-local Walmart. OTOH, another Walmart along the route is trash! No way will I ever buy there again.

      My last pass through Arkansas got two tanks of 11 MPG on Murhphy/Walmart diesel but the first several hundred miles got 13 MPG on Kroger diesel. Bought 3 tanks of about 25 gallons each that weekend. At 13, 11, 11, I'd rather buy from the 13 MPG source. Fortunately its co-located at one of my 2 regular grocery stores.

    • Walter Lee
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 11, 2013
        Driving conditions make a big difference in fuel efficency - especially with the Prius and especially if you know some hypermiling tricks.
        Sofar in over three years of driving my overall fuel efficiency calculated has been from 44 to 71 mpg depending on the overall driving conditions.
        My (Scangauge2)  fuel efficiency estimates per trip has vary even wider from about 11 mpg to 132  mpg depending on the driving conditions.
        The Prius' HSI display  fuel efficiency display estimates more optimistic .