Re: [toyota-prius] Blind Spot avoidance retrofit systems for Prius?

  • Jim Saklad
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
      > Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
      >
      > Tom

      The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

      Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
        On Jul 1, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

        >> Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
        >
        > The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

        Old tech solved that problem a long time ago. Its called "back seat driver". :-)

      • kevin
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
          Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

          I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

          Kevin

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
            On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:59 AM, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

            > Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

            Curious. I advocate pen, paper, and calculator logbook and you advocate a website which is accessible from smartphone. Then you do the opposite and advocate for low tech without driver's assistance and/or warnings:

            > I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

            I'm a head turner looker. Still, if buying a toy which has these features as options then if the option is of even modest interest then I want. Then again what's $4,000 of options on a $60,000 vehicle? The fool JBL/Nav on my Prius was $5,000.

          • kevin
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
              I think these are two different issues.  Why not use a smartphone to keep track of information instead of pen and paper, if it's more convenient? Yes, the battery can fail when it's time to update the database, but the results are a minor inconvenience.

              On the other hand, if your Mercedes beeps every time somebody is behind the car when you try to back up, over time a person can start relying on the beep, and then one day the beep fails when you really needed it to work.

              Personally I prefer to rely on my own senses and try to keep them sharp, instead of relying on electronics.

              If I put $60,000 into a car, I would save the $4000 for gas so I could drive the thing.

              ________________________________
              > Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

              Curious. I advocate pen, paper, and calculator logbook and you advocate a website which is accessible from smartphone. Then you do the opposite and advocate for low tech without driver's assistance and/or warnings:

              > I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

              I'm a head turner looker. Still, if buying a toy which has these features as options then if the option is of even modest interest then I want. Then again what's $4,000 of options on a $60,000 vehicle? The fool JBL/Nav on my Prius was $5,000.

            • Chris Wells
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                Kevin

                I started this string because I was trying to help my Dad who has impaired
                left side vision.

                But I also was looking to help my driving too.

                I asked for advice from those who have retrofitted a system into their Prius
                hoping someone would bite.

                It looks like no one on this group has done it.

                Chris

                _____