RE: [toyota-prius] Blind Spot avoidance retrofit systems for Prius?

  • Chris Wells
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
      David

      Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.

      But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

      As I pointed out in this string, my Dad does not.

      Chris

      _____

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
        Mike

        Thanks for the detail on how you handle this issue..

        Obviously you have real world experience.

        I will study your comments and forward them to my Dad.

        Have you ever driven a car with the electronic avoidance system?

        I like belts and suspender approaches and am still looking into the
        electronic systems too.

        Have any of you seen the new Ford Cmax side view mirrors?

        A combo of a wide angle and regular mirrors.

        Chris

        _____

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
          On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Chris Wells <radioactive55man@...> wrote:

          > Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.
          >
          > But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

          Even so the Prius could use improvement.

        • Tom M
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
            Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield.  It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.

            Tom

            "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

            >________________________________

          • Jim Saklad
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
              > Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
              >
              > Tom

              The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

              Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                On Jul 1, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

                >> Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
                >
                > The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

                Old tech solved that problem a long time ago. Its called "back seat driver". :-)

              • kevin
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                  I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                  Kevin

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                    On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:59 AM, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

                    > Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                    Curious. I advocate pen, paper, and calculator logbook and you advocate a website which is accessible from smartphone. Then you do the opposite and advocate for low tech without driver's assistance and/or warnings:

                    > I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                    I'm a head turner looker. Still, if buying a toy which has these features as options then if the option is of even modest interest then I want. Then again what's $4,000 of options on a $60,000 vehicle? The fool JBL/Nav on my Prius was $5,000.

                  • kevin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                      I think these are two different issues.  Why not use a smartphone to keep track of information instead of pen and paper, if it's more convenient? Yes, the battery can fail when it's time to update the database, but the results are a minor inconvenience.

                      On the other hand, if your Mercedes beeps every time somebody is behind the car when you try to back up, over time a person can start relying on the beep, and then one day the beep fails when you really needed it to work.

                      Personally I prefer to rely on my own senses and try to keep them sharp, instead of relying on electronics.

                      If I put $60,000 into a car, I would save the $4000 for gas so I could drive the thing.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                        Kevin

                        I started this string because I was trying to help my Dad who has impaired
                        left side vision.

                        But I also was looking to help my driving too.

                        I asked for advice from those who have retrofitted a system into their Prius
                        hoping someone would bite.

                        It looks like no one on this group has done it.

                        Chris

                        _____