Re: [toyota-prius] Blind Spot avoidance retrofit systems for Prius?

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
      On Jun 30, 2013, at 10:34 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

      >>> I put the little round blind spot mirrors on my mirrors and love them. They were on my 2007 when I bought it and I brought some to put on my 2012 when I bought it.
      >>
      >> Heaven forbid! The economy will collapse worse than it is already with all these $5 and free solutions!
      >> As for me? I turn my head and LOOK. Prius does a darn good job of blocking my view.
      >> David Kelly
      >
      > It would really be nice if I were able to turn my head and look, but with 5 fused cervical vertebrae, I'm a little limited.
      >
      > Not all of us are as fit and functional as you are, David.

      I'm sorry you missed my attempt at humor of accusing people of sabotaging the Obama Recovery and then demonstrated I too am guilty. Also "Prius blocking my view" was an attempt to support the need for some sort of assistance.

      In my defense I did try very hard just over a year ago to purchase a new $60k Mercedes-Benz but couldn't get one equipped the way I wanted. Among other things a $3,000 Active Driver's Assistance Package with ultrasound and/or radar 360° to warn of others nearby, and cameras watching the stripes on the road to shake the electric power steering if one crossed the lane markers without signaling.

      So lacking those things I bought used also without all the things I wanted but for half the new price. Else I probably would have ordered a 2013.

    • Chris Wells
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
        David

        Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.

        But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

        As I pointed out in this string, my Dad does not.

        Chris

        _____

        --
        David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@... <mailto:dkelly%40HiWAAY.net>
      • Chris Wells
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
          Mike

          Thanks for the detail on how you handle this issue..

          Obviously you have real world experience.

          I will study your comments and forward them to my Dad.

          Have you ever driven a car with the electronic avoidance system?

          I like belts and suspender approaches and am still looking into the
          electronic systems too.

          Have any of you seen the new Ford Cmax side view mirrors?

          A combo of a wide angle and regular mirrors.

          Chris

          _____

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
            On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Chris Wells <radioactive55man@...> wrote:

            > Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.
            >
            > But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

            Even so the Prius could use improvement.

          • Tom M
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
              Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield.  It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.

              Tom

              "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

              >________________________________

            • Jim Saklad
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                > Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
                >
                > Tom

                The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

                Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                  On Jul 1, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

                  >> Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
                  >
                  > The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

                  Old tech solved that problem a long time ago. Its called "back seat driver". :-)

                • kevin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                    I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                    Kevin

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                      On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:59 AM, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

                      > Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                      Curious. I advocate pen, paper, and calculator logbook and you advocate a website which is accessible from smartphone. Then you do the opposite and advocate for low tech without driver's assistance and/or warnings:

                      > I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                      I'm a head turner looker. Still, if buying a toy which has these features as options then if the option is of even modest interest then I want. Then again what's $4,000 of options on a $60,000 vehicle? The fool JBL/Nav on my Prius was $5,000.

                    • kevin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                        I think these are two different issues.  Why not use a smartphone to keep track of information instead of pen and paper, if it's more convenient? Yes, the battery can fail when it's time to update the database, but the results are a minor inconvenience.

                        On the other hand, if your Mercedes beeps every time somebody is behind the car when you try to back up, over time a person can start relying on the beep, and then one day the beep fails when you really needed it to work.

                        Personally I prefer to rely on my own senses and try to keep them sharp, instead of relying on electronics.

                        If I put $60,000 into a car, I would save the $4000 for gas so I could drive the thing.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                          Kevin

                          I started this string because I was trying to help my Dad who has impaired
                          left side vision.

                          But I also was looking to help my driving too.

                          I asked for advice from those who have retrofitted a system into their Prius
                          hoping someone would bite.

                          It looks like no one on this group has done it.

                          Chris

                          _____