Re: 2002 prius - buttons stopped working - audio/info am/fm etc

  • Andyman68
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 27, 2013
      I found a similar issue with a 2004
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-2G/message/12776

      Andy

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "wrd123" <wrd123@...> wrote:

      > Today I was driving home and all of a sudden all the soft type buttons on my dash stopped. the am/fm, audio, info, map, on and off to the radio etc.
      >
      > if I put a cd in it will play but I cant advance, I can adjust volume but not turn on or off. the touch screen works, but is stuck on the consumption screen which was the last screen I used. I can't change it other to just use the reset button. the a/c buttons all work.
      >
      > im not sure is this a fuse? I looked in my manual but couldn't see any that might fit this issue.
      >
      > I have a 2002 prius with about 207k miles on it.
      >
      > Thanks !

    • Chris Wells
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
        I have a 2010 Prius Gen 3 and was hoping someone in the group has looked
        into and possibly installed a retrofit Blind Spot avoidance system on a
        Prius.

        I'm looking for any suggestions and feedback that you may have.

        I have gotten used to cranking my neck to the left to be sure but it would
        be helpful to add in some support.

        I'm talking about a system of sensors that light an LED in the side view
        mirror or similar to tell you that you have company in the blind spot.

        Also I am thinking about my Father who has some left side peripheral vision
        issues.

        He has ordered a new Prius V and really could use this.

        My understanding when studying the Toyota web site is that the 5th level
        trim has some driving safety support features but not a true blind spot
        detector - is this correct?

        He did not order the 5th level since the salesman, unaware of his condition,
        convinced him that my Dad didn't need it.

        Very frustrating to me since I have been in the car many times with my Dad
        driving and he had close calls merging.

        Anyways I thought if I installed it on my car as a retrofit and it worked
        out well then I could convince my Dad to do the retrofit too.

        Thanks

        Chris

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
          One highly recommended (and free) system for any car is to adjust your side
          mirrors per AAA instructions.
          To summarize: With left ear against window, set left mirror so you can
          just see the left side of your car; and with right ear at the centerline of
          the cabin, adjust right mirror so you can just see the right side.
          This will largely eliminate the blind spots, to the extent that traffic on
          either side will come into peripheral vision almost immediately after
          disappearing from the mirror.
          Let's face it - you already know what the sides of your own car looks like,
          and there is little need to constantly verify that they are present...

          Yes, if you haven't done this already, it will take a little time to get
          used to it, but you will drive more safely.

          Pete

          On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Chris Wells
          <radioactive55man@...>wrote:

          > **
          > I have a 2010 Prius Gen 3 and was hoping someone in the group has looked
          >
          > into and possibly installed a retrofit Blind Spot avoidance system on a
          > Prius.
          > __,_._SNIP,___

        • P B
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
            Ok, I am going to recommend something that probably not everyone will appreciate.

            Forget about that electronic stuff. I have a simple, easy solution that works great, but takes some getting used to. Here it is...

            When adjusting your left outside mirror, lean your head way over to the door window and adjust it so you just see a bit of the car's body. This new view will seem odd at first when you re-position yourself and drive.

            Now though, when you are driving, this mirror will show you exactly what is at your left flank that might be hidden otherwise.

            It will feel funny at first, but with your rear view mirror and newly adjusted drivers mirror you will clearly see all around safely.

            I use this and it really works for me.

            PeteBro Bradenton FL

            2007 Silver
            82,000 Miles

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jun 30, 2013, at 1:25 PM, "Chris Wells" <radioactive55man@...> wrote:

            > I have a 2010 Prius Gen 3 and was hoping someone in the group has looked
            > into and possibly installed a retrofit Blind Spot avoidance system on a
            > Prius.
            >
            > I'm looking for any suggestions and feedback that you may have.
            >
            > I have gotten used to cranking my neck to the left to be sure but it would
            > be helpful to add in some support.
            >
            > I'm talking about a system of sensors that light an LED in the side view
            > mirror or similar to tell you that you have company in the blind spot.
            >
            > Also I am thinking about my Father who has some left side peripheral vision
            > issues.
            >
            > He has ordered a new Prius V and really could use this.
            >
            > My understanding when studying the Toyota web site is that the 5th level
            > trim has some driving safety support features but not a true blind spot
            > detector - is this correct?
            >
            > He did not order the 5th level since the salesman, unaware of his condition,
            > convinced him that my Dad didn't need it.
            >
            > Very frustrating to me since I have been in the car many times with my Dad
            > driving and he had close calls merging.
            >
            > Anyways I thought if I installed it on my car as a retrofit and it worked
            > out well then I could convince my Dad to do the retrofit too.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Chris

          • Donna
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
              This is exactly how I have my mirrors set and have been using them this way, as Pete described below, ever since I to my first AARP Online Driver Safety Course. Anytime somebody else drives my car, I have to reset the mirrors. It really does help.

              Donna

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

              > One highly recommended (and free) system for any car is to adjust your side
              > mirrors per AAA instructions.
              > To summarize: With left ear against window, set left mirror so you can
              > just see the left side of your car; and with right ear at the centerline of
              > the cabin, adjust right mirror so you can just see the right side.
              > This will largely eliminate the blind spots, to the extent that traffic on
              > either side will come into peripheral vision almost immediately after
              > disappearing from the mirror.
              > Let's face it - you already know what the sides of your own car looks like,
              > and there is little need to constantly verify that they are present...
              >
              > Yes, if you haven't done this already, it will take a little time to get
              > used to it, but you will drive more safely.
              >
              > Pete

            • Jerry Hnidy
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                Click and Clack brought that up a couple of months ago. Tnius was not he
                advice when I took driver training a LONG time ago. It is an improvement
                over my old practice.

                Google Jers Tablet
                Woodhaven, MI

                <radioactive55man@...>wrote:

                > **
                > I have a 2010 Prius Gen 3 and was hoping someone in the group has looked
                >
                > into and possibly installed a retrofit Blind Spot avoidance system on a
                > Prius.
                > __,_._SNIP,___

              • Chris Wells
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                  Appreciate the advice about mirror adjustments but remember my Dad has
                  Glaucoma and it has reduced his peripheral vision especially in his left
                  eye.

                  I do not expect that mirror adjust would work for him completely or if I
                  could get him to try it.

                  He is a perfect candidate for this new technology, I think it would help
                  him.

                  So I am looking for advice about electronic detection systems.

                  I did a google search and amusingly our recent posts popped up at top.

                  On ebay I found some systems I will look into - hoping you know more or have
                  some experience with these

                  Number 290929063044
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOSHERS-BSDS3016-Universal-Blind-Spot-Detection-Syst
                  em-w-LED-Indicators-/290929063044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
                  <http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOSHERS-BSDS3016-Universal-Blind-Spot-Detection-Sys
                  tem-w-LED-Indicators-/290929063044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bcb93484
                  > &hash=item43bcb93484

                  Number 251272017747
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camily-Blind-Spot-Assistant-System-Warning-Inside-of
                  -your-Vehicle-Universal-/251272017747?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3a80fab753
                  &vxp=mtr

                  Chris

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                    Links were broken.

                    This one works to the Goshers Store....

                    http://stores.ebay.com/Sonic-Electronix-Store/_i.html?_nkw=GOSHERS&_ipg=&_sid=19081829

                    And to the Camily store....

                    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XCamily&_nkw=Camily&_sacat=0&_from=R40

                    "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

                  • Ryan Weathers
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                      I put the little round blind spot mirrors on my mirrors and love them. They were on my 2007 when I bought it and I brought some to put on my 2012 when I bought it.

                      Ryan Weathers

                    • Mike Fox
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                        Tom - Re: Glaucoma & Blind Spot help

                        I am 99% blind in my left eye, and have had Glaucoma in both eyes since I was age 14. I am now 57 years old, and still to this day the best blind spot device for me are those "Fish Eye" Round Spot Mirrors about 2 - 3 inches wide.

                        Here's the trick to make them work best for your Dad or anyone especially for NIGHT driving:

                        Place them on the INNER and UPPER corner part of each mirror. By "Inner" I mean closest to the inside of your car.

                        Then at night since Glaucoma can create both a rainbow circle effect on any bright light, and some "sparkle" effect may happen as well, instruct him to adjust his mirrors like this:

                        LEFT - Pan it out just past seeing the side of the car in the REGULAR mirror and then at night simply TILT it down so that he'll still see the oncoming car headlights but now ONLY in the "Fish Eye" mirror. As the car behind him gets closer he'll notice the headlights making the lane to his left brighten up to know it is very close, yet he WON'T BE BLINDED by headlights either on Low or High Beam from that other car.

                        RIGHT - Since that mirror is the "Items may be closer than they appear" due to it's own slight Fish Eye convex mirror, simply adjust it so that when a car is behind him, he'll only see the headlights in the SMALL ROUND Fish Eye Mirror you've stuck to that mirror.

                        In the daytime, just adjust both to whatever makes him feel better to see everything well. I just have them set like I said above, then just tilt down only my driver's side Right Mirror toward the ground and maybe a little more panned to the left which helps me to see that the passing car is indeed right in my blind spot because the road is now brightly lit up and I can see the roadway in that left lane well and see the car in the small round Fish Eye right next to me.

                        Sensitivity to light, especially sudden or semi-sudden changes is what bothers us with Glaucoma the most during drivng.

                        This simple fix is NON-Technical, and works all the time, and it should cost about $2 - $4 at most for both Fish Eye Mirrors; some makers even call them Blind Spot Mirrors.

                        Hope this helps you and anyone else with vision problems.

                        Mike in PA - 2005 Silver - Avg 50mpg E-10 gas

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                          On Jun 30, 2013, at 2:11 PM, Ryan Weathers <weathersinc@...> wrote:

                          > I put the little round blind spot mirrors on my mirrors and love them. They were on my 2007 when I bought it and I brought some to put on my 2012 when I bought it.

                          Heaven forbid! The economy will collapse worse than it is already with all these $5 and free solutions!

                          As for me? I turn my head and LOOK. Prius does a darn good job of blocking my view.

                        • Jim Saklad
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                            >> I put the little round blind spot mirrors on my mirrors and love them. They were on my 2007 when I bought it and I brought some to put on my 2012 when I bought it.
                            >
                            > Heaven forbid! The economy will collapse worse than it is already with all these $5 and free solutions!
                            > As for me? I turn my head and LOOK. Prius does a darn good job of blocking my view.
                            > David Kelly

                            It would really be nice if I were able to turn my head and look, but with 5 fused cervical vertebrae, I'm a little limited.

                            Not all of us are as fit and functional as you are, David.

                            Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 30, 2013
                              On Jun 30, 2013, at 10:34 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

                              >>> I put the little round blind spot mirrors on my mirrors and love them. They were on my 2007 when I bought it and I brought some to put on my 2012 when I bought it.
                              >>
                              >> Heaven forbid! The economy will collapse worse than it is already with all these $5 and free solutions!
                              >> As for me? I turn my head and LOOK. Prius does a darn good job of blocking my view.
                              >> David Kelly
                              >
                              > It would really be nice if I were able to turn my head and look, but with 5 fused cervical vertebrae, I'm a little limited.
                              >
                              > Not all of us are as fit and functional as you are, David.

                              I'm sorry you missed my attempt at humor of accusing people of sabotaging the Obama Recovery and then demonstrated I too am guilty. Also "Prius blocking my view" was an attempt to support the need for some sort of assistance.

                              In my defense I did try very hard just over a year ago to purchase a new $60k Mercedes-Benz but couldn't get one equipped the way I wanted. Among other things a $3,000 Active Driver's Assistance Package with ultrasound and/or radar 360° to warn of others nearby, and cameras watching the stripes on the road to shake the electric power steering if one crossed the lane markers without signaling.

                              So lacking those things I bought used also without all the things I wanted but for half the new price. Else I probably would have ordered a 2013.

                            • Chris Wells
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                David

                                Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.

                                But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

                                As I pointed out in this string, my Dad does not.

                                Chris

                                _____

                                --
                                David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@... <mailto:dkelly%40HiWAAY.net>
                              • Chris Wells
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                  Mike

                                  Thanks for the detail on how you handle this issue..

                                  Obviously you have real world experience.

                                  I will study your comments and forward them to my Dad.

                                  Have you ever driven a car with the electronic avoidance system?

                                  I like belts and suspender approaches and am still looking into the
                                  electronic systems too.

                                  Have any of you seen the new Ford Cmax side view mirrors?

                                  A combo of a wide angle and regular mirrors.

                                  Chris

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Chris Wells <radioactive55man@...> wrote:

                                    > Yes I crank my neck too in my 2010.
                                    >
                                    > But you and I have normal left side peripheral vision.

                                    Even so the Prius could use improvement.

                                  • Tom M
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                      Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield.  It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.

                                      Tom

                                      "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

                                      >________________________________

                                    • Jim Saklad
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                        > Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
                                        >
                                        > Tom

                                        The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

                                        Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 1, 2013
                                          On Jul 1, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:

                                          >> Eventually, some manufacturer will include s reasonable "heads up" display that will get past the laws on projecting information on to the windshield. It would be nice if the Prius had included some kind of approaching car indicator in the Instrument Cluster display.
                                          >
                                          > The technology to detect your "neighbors" is already in use, and the programming to convert that data into a continuously-updated "God's-eye view" of your vehicle and it's surrounds is pretty straightforward.

                                          Old tech solved that problem a long time ago. Its called "back seat driver". :-)

                                        • kevin
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                                            Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                                            I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                                            Kevin

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 2, 2013
                                              On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:59 AM, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

                                              > Letting technology take over is a bad choice. It gives a false sense of security, and may one day let you down.

                                              Curious. I advocate pen, paper, and calculator logbook and you advocate a website which is accessible from smartphone. Then you do the opposite and advocate for low tech without driver's assistance and/or warnings:

                                              > I believe you will be safer and live longer by not getting the toys Mercedes offers, turn your head to see what is around the car, stay awake behind the wheel, and always be aware of what's going on around you.

                                              I'm a head turner looker. Still, if buying a toy which has these features as options then if the option is of even modest interest then I want. Then again what's $4,000 of options on a $60,000 vehicle? The fool JBL/Nav on my Prius was $5,000.

                                            • kevin
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                                                I think these are two different issues.  Why not use a smartphone to keep track of information instead of pen and paper, if it's more convenient? Yes, the battery can fail when it's time to update the database, but the results are a minor inconvenience.

                                                On the other hand, if your Mercedes beeps every time somebody is behind the car when you try to back up, over time a person can start relying on the beep, and then one day the beep fails when you really needed it to work.

                                                Personally I prefer to rely on my own senses and try to keep them sharp, instead of relying on electronics.

                                                If I put $60,000 into a car, I would save the $4000 for gas so I could drive the thing.

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 3, 2013
                                                  Kevin

                                                  I started this string because I was trying to help my Dad who has impaired
                                                  left side vision.

                                                  But I also was looking to help my driving too.

                                                  I asked for advice from those who have retrofitted a system into their Prius
                                                  hoping someone would bite.

                                                  It looks like no one on this group has done it.

                                                  Chris

                                                  _____