Re: [toyota-prius] Update on Coolant, was Too Much Time etc.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      On Jun 24, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Phyllis K. Day <phyllisday@...> wrote:

      > He said the service
      > department would be glad to "top me off" but I thought who knows, they might
      > be just as clueless and either put in straight antifreeze or the wrong
      > antifreeze.

      Its perfectly fine to add makeup fluids as straight (distilled) water or straight undiluted coolant (a.k.a. "antifreeze").

      "Hmm, I think last time I put water in so this time I'll use undiluted coolant."

      Any half-competent service shop will have a hydrometer (a turkey baster with calibrated float inside) laying around to test your coolant so as to know which side of 50/50 you are and whether to use water or coolant or both.

      No reason to lose sleep if you hit the ratios anywhere between 60/40 and 40/60. Also no reason not to use pure water even tap water if one needs to drive 500 miles home to get home to a shop one trusts. In summary pure water is OK for hours or days, but not weeks.