Re: [toyota-prius] Clarifications on. Re: Too much time on my hands

  • Jim Saklad
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2013
      >> Now tax dollars are furthering a distortion of the energy market place. Biodiesel is the latest brain wash.
      >>
      >> Why do we need it at $25/gallon when just pumping oil out of the ground is so more cost effective? The US navy is mandated to buy the junk. No wonder we are broke.
      >>
      >> <http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/2013/04/04/the-biofuel-mandate-and-epas-costly-tall-tale/>
      >
      > Why do you say "biodiesel" and cite a reference which says nothing about diesel?

      As to sources of these opinions:

      From:
      <http://sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Institute_for_Energy_Research> :
      > The Institute for Energy Research (IER) advocates positions on environmental issues including deregulation of utilities, climate change denial, and claims that conventional energy sources are virtually limitless.

      Also, from Wikipedia:

      Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2013
        On Jun 23, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Burt Trattner <btrattner@...> wrote:

        > Biodiesel is the latest brain wash.
        > Why do we need it at $25/gallon when just pumping oil out of the ground
        > is so more cost effective? The US navy is mandated to buy the junk. No
        > wonder we are broke.

        Biodiesel does not cost $25/gallon, only the swill the Navy was forced to purchase costs that much.

        Local university has a demo trailer they claim to make biodiesel from weeds for $1.70/gallon. And thats nothing new.

        A few years ago there was a vendor selling a home biodiesel factory for $10,000 which made fuel from government surplus sugar. The question is whether one could count on cheap raw material.