2002 Prius rear window shattered

  • jspencerbennett
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
      Thursday morning turned on the rear window defroster to clear some moisture. Windows open, smelled burning smell, assumed external. After about three minutes, a loud bang, rear window shattered in place. No indication of electrical malfunction. Toyota could find no obvious cause but suggested take to body shop to see if the window frame is mis-aligned enough to stress the glass. Glass company, Toyota dealer and body shop that repaired right rear damage about a year ago general consensus is moisture intrusion into the glass but unclear why. Body shop is doing forensic analysis, glass scheduled for replacement Monday afternoon at the body shop by Safelite. At this point I will be out the $500 deductible (total cost for installed new glass will be $800+) and maybe slightly elevated insurance rates unless we find a smoking gun cause.
      Has anyone else had a similar experience with Prius or other vehicle?
      Any insight or recommendations appreciated.

      John Bennett
      Northern Virginia
      Silver classic, original owner, 64K miles, no previous problems.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
        Highly uncommon, but not an isolated incident (perhaps first I've heard of
        on Prius though). This has happened on various other individual cars over
        the years - various makes/models with the only commonality being use of a
        defogger element. What, your State doesn't have zero-deductible on glass?
        Guess not...
        Recommendation is to pay the money and don't expect it to happen again.
        Pete

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
          No zero-deductible glass is just one of many ways the Commonwealth of Virginia remains in the dark ages

          John S. Bennett

          >________________________________

        • extra_ball_when_lit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, John Bennett <jspencerbennett@...> wrote:

            > No zero-deductible glass is just one of many ways the Commonwealth
            > of Virginia remains in the dark ages

            <snip>

            >> From: Peter Blackford <priuspete@...>
            >> What, your State doesn't have zero-deductible on glass?

            Zero deductible sounds nice, but it certainly isn't free, even if it isn't itemized on your insurance policy. Methinks it's really a gift to the glass companies more than a gift to the consumer.

            I'm in a zero-deductible glass state (Texas) and I can tell you from (anecdotal) experience that it's probably a big source of income for a lot of unscrupulous people - and the typical claim amount makes it unprofitable for the insurers to investigate any but the most egregious fraudsters. The tiniest of chips on my windshield - barely visible to the naked eye - are an invitation to my local car wash to hit me up for a "no cost to me" repair. Just give us your insurance card...

            No thanks.

            Scott
            2002 with 212K miles, original glass all around...
          • docaaron1
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
              A while back maybe 8 years we were on the Gothels bridge going to Long Island, NY. It was a very hot day maybe upper 90's and were stopped on the bridge. A truck going kind of fast the opposite direction hit a bump and my front window cracked. I didn't see a stone coming off the truck but the crack looked like it could be from a stone. Safelite replaced the glass and I have had no problems since then. I think they do a great job.

              Aaron
              '02 Prius
              139K miles

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "jspencerbennett" <jspencerbennett@...> wrote:

              > Thursday morning turned on the rear window defroster to clear some moisture. Windows open, smelled burning smell, assumed external. After about three minutes, a loud bang, rear window shattered in place. No indication of electrical malfunction. Toyota could find no obvious cause but suggested take to body shop to see if the window frame is mis-aligned enough to stress the glass. Glass company, Toyota dealer and body shop that repaired right rear damage about a year ago general consensus is moisture intrusion into the glass but unclear why. Body shop is doing forensic analysis, glass scheduled for replacement Monday afternoon at the body shop by Safelite. At this point I will be out the $500 deductible (total cost for installed new glass will be $800+) and maybe slightly elevated insurance rates unless we find a smoking gun cause.
              > Has anyone else had a similar experience with Prius or other vehicle?
              > Any insight or recommendations appreciated.
              >
              > John Bennett
              > Northern Virginia
              > Silver classic, original owner, 64K miles, no previous problems.

            • cor_van_de_water
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
                It appears that all incidences of rear window shattering are related
                to switching on the rear defogger.
                Glass will only shatter with large stresses, and not the usual
                evenly-throughout stresses like inside temp +90 and outside close to 0
                but the type of stress concentrated in one spot.
                Obvious type of such stress is a stone hitting the glass in one spot
                and cracking it.
                Alternative could be a malfunctioning defogger that does not heat
                the window evenly, but due to (for example) corrosion from moisture
                on one contact terminal, that spot has gone high resistance, so
                instead of developing approx 200 Watt across the entire window,
                it is now double the resistance, causing only 50 Watts for the
                entire window and the other 50 Watts in *one spot* - the terminal
                that connects the wire to the defogger.
                50 Watts is enough to not just melt plastic, but I have an idea
                that in a couple minutes that single spot can develop a temp that
                can expand the glass exactly under that spot so much that the window
                can shatter.
                Developing contact resistance from moisture is a common problem in
                automotive environments, so that would be the first thing I would
                look for in a case of a "spontaneous" shattering window, minutes
                after switching the rear defogger on and smelling a burning smell.
                Too much coincidences at the same time and a simple and plausible
                explanation, so why make it complicated? (unless to avoid paying
                insurance/warranty)
                (Note that besides contact resistance, there can be other reasons
                for high resistance in one spot such as an almost severed cable, a
                defogger that has torn foil strip(s) from bad application or not
                being enough fixed in place, so there can be other reasons for a hot spot that can crack the glass)
                Cor.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
                  On Jun 23, 2013, at 2:08 PM, extra_ball_when_lit <scott_lists@...> wrote:

                  > I'm in a zero-deductible glass state (Texas) and I can tell you from (anecdotal) experience that it's probably a big source of income for a lot of unscrupulous people - and the typical claim amount makes it unprofitable for the insurers to investigate any but the most egregious fraudsters. The tiniest of chips on my windshield - barely visible to the naked eye - are an invitation to my local car wash to hit me up for a "no cost to me" repair. Just give us your insurance card...

                  A similar insurance racket is the roofing business. Storm passes through the area and door-to-door roofing salesmen come out of the woodwork insisting from the ground they can tell "You need a new roof! Insurance will pay for it!"

                  One pointed at my roof saying the discoloration was a disintegrating roof due to hail! I looked where he was pointing and all I saw was mildew on a north facing surface.