Re: Too much time on my hands

  • cor_van_de_water
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
      If you have too much time, why not swap engine yourself?
      Should be about 3 full days work, or 2 weeks of most evenings.
      Of course you need to be a little mechanically inclined,
      but if you disconnect and hoist out the complete engine+transaxle
      (including motors and diff) and hoist in the new, then re-connect
      all wires (connectors) and hoses, that should be the essence of it.
      Just take your time, make notes / pics and if all else fails, have
      a service manual that you can consult or a nearby 2002 that you
      can verify if you are putting yours back together properly.
      There is not *that* much mechanics involved and even the tools
      needed are pretty limited (ratchet with extensions and sockets plus
      some pliers and basic screwdrivers)

      Originally I had the wild plan to swap engine in a parking lot
      next to the van holding my replacement engine, but I reconsidered
      that I don't want my Prius open to elements and thieves overnight,
      so I am swapping in my own garage after buying a couple 2x4 to
      reinforce an overhead beam, from which I suspended the ratchet-hoist
      (AKA Come-along) to raise and lower the engine (I push my Prius
      around after hoisting the engine onto / from a pallet and I borrowed
      a pallet jack from work for a weekend to swap the two engines on
      crate in my garage, to hoist the new engine into the Prius.
      It is waiting for my return, then I will reconnect all wires and
      hoses, put fluids back in and cross my fingers.

      I did recharge the aux and main battery pack since those were also
      drained to the point of no response when I bought this vehicle from
      the second hand car shop.

      If you live near Silicon Valley then we could hook up if you are
      interested in doing this yourself.