Re: [toyota-prius] Dizzy / Vertigo while driving Prius

  • Bill Burns
    Message 1 of 20 , May 25, 2013
      On 5/25/2013 3:06 AM, mark79ga wrote:
      > I found an old thread on this, and I'm having a similar problem, so here goes:
      > I just bought a 2010 Prius and while driving (and afterward) I feel seasick, dizzy - vertigo type symptoms. I have only been driving the car a few days.

      Here's a relevant thread on PriusChat:

      http://priuschat.com/threads/motion-sickness.123702/

      The advice there is similar to what Jim just posted.

      --
      Bill
    • Mark Schonfeld
      Message 2 of 20 , May 25, 2013
        Thanks very much Kevin - that makes sense, I'll give it a try.  The windshield *is* a bit like sitting too close to an IMAX screen, so hopefully adjusting the 'aspect ratio' will help.  I drove the same car for 10 yrs prior, so my hope is that this is just my brain/eyes adjusting.

        I'm also going to get some of those homeopathic smelling oils and wristbands for motion sickness, just in case.

        Anyone else experienced/overcome this issue?

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 20 , May 25, 2013
          Just wondering - did you have the climate control set on "recirculate"? If
          not, there is some possibility that you inhaled something on your route
          which may have triggered the symptoms, unrelated to the car itself. Maybe?

          On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM, mark79ga <mark79ga@...> wrote:

          > **
          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I found an old thread on this, and I'm having a similar problem, so here
          > goes:
          > I just bought a 2010 Prius and while driving (and afterward) I feel
          > seasick, dizzy - vertigo type symptoms. I have only been driving the car a
          > few days.
          >
          > Has anyone encountered this problem? Does it go away? I assume it is
          > something to do with new windshield perspective. I am frustrated and don't
          > want to have to sell the car.
          >
          > If anyone could share an experience or a possible solution, I'd be so
          > grateful..

        • Phyllis K. Day
          Message 4 of 20 , May 25, 2013
            Before ordering my 2002 Prius (back in 2001 when we did it on the Internet), I rented one for three days. After the first day, I felt those same motion sickness, vertigo symptoms. So much so that on the second day, I seriously considered not getting one.

            On the third day, those symptoms were gone. It was the way the car braked that was making me dizzy. I don’t know about the newer models, like your 2010, but on the Classic, the braking isn’t like regular cars. The heat regeneration system kind of reaches up and grabs as it senses the brake pedal being pressed even when done oh so gently. This, for me, created a “swishy” kind of thing that I finally got used to. And the brakes overall were/are super sensitive; the first two days I was trying to avoid having my head hit the windshield.

            Not having driven a 2010 I can’t say if the brakes feel the same as the Classic model, but I wanted to share my experience with you, on the chance that maybe it’s the braking system that is affecting you too.

            Eleven years later – my only regret is not having ordered two of them.

            Prius Phyl

            2002 Blue Moon Pearl

            100K +

            Message 5 of 20 , May 25, 2013
              On May 25, 2013, at 8:49 PM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

              > Just wondering - did you have the climate control set on "recirculate"? If
              > not, there is some possibility that you inhaled something on your route
              > which may have triggered the symptoms, unrelated to the car itself. Maybe?

              Thats a bone I have to pick with the design of my 2007. Have to manually turn off the A/C compressor each time the HVAC is turned on when one only wants air to blow. And one also has to turn off recirculate to get outside air. Every time the HVAC is turned on the compressor and recirculate is selected.

              If the compressor is turned off the next press of the HVAC button turns the compressor on. But there is no way to press the HVAC button to turn the compressor off without turning off the whole HVAC system.

              In related news we were covered with tree pollen several weeks ago. Today honeysuckle is in full aroma.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                On May 25, 2013, at 9:12 PM, "Phyllis K. Day" <phyllisday@...> wrote:

                > On the third day, those symptoms were gone. It was the way the car braked that was making me dizzy. I don’t know about the newer models, like your 2010, but on the Classic, the braking isn’t like regular cars. The heat regeneration system kind of reaches up and grabs as it senses the brake pedal being pressed even when done oh so gently. This, for me, created a “swishy” kind of thing that I finally got used to. And the brakes overall were/are super sensitive; the first two days I was trying to avoid having my head hit the windshield.

                The transition from regenerative braking to friction braking is not smooth on my 2007 when the brakes are wet and/or have been sitting outside in the rain. One workaround is to brake harder so that friction braking is required the whole time so there isn't a transition from regeneration to friction at 7 MPH.

                Harder braking also serves to clean off the brake pads and rotors, restoring normal brake behavior.

                Also have a Mercedes-Benz diesel SUV with 7 speed automatic transmission which downshifts fairly aggressively while using engine braking. The result is often much like the Prius with wet brakes. Solution is the same, "brake harder", the jerky deceleration only occurs when one is coasting to a stop.

                I forget about the close quarters inside the Prius until after I have driven another vehicle and get back in the Prius. Windshield is much closer to the driver's face than in most, while speedometer is much farther away. If one wears bifocals then Prius instruments may not be at the expected distance. I generally see Prius instruments better without glasses than with. As a result I have a pair of "driving bifocals" with the bifocals set for about 36" range. Those with 18" reading range don't work.

              • Jim Saklad
                Message 7 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                  > Thanks very much Kevin - that makes sense, I'll give it a try. The windshield *is* a bit like sitting too close to an IMAX screen, so hopefully adjusting the 'aspect ratio' will help. I drove the same car for 10 yrs prior, so my hope is that this is just my brain/eyes adjusting.

                  Interesting.
                  I almost never find myself looking *at* the windshield; usually I look *through* it at the road, the traffic, the pedestrians -- the whole world out there.

                  Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
                • Jim Saklad
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                    > Before ordering my 2002 Prius (back in 2001 when we did it on the Internet), I rented one for three days. After the first day, I felt those same motion sickness, vertigo symptoms. So much so that on the second day, I seriously considered not getting one.
                    >
                    > On the third day, those symptoms were gone. It was the way the car braked that was making me dizzy. I don’t know about the newer models, like your 2010, but on the Classic, the braking isn’t like regular cars. The heat regeneration system kind of reaches up and grabs as it senses the brake pedal being pressed even when done oh so gently. This, for me, created a “swishy” kind of thing that I finally got used to. And the brakes overall were/are super sensitive; the first two days I was trying to avoid having my head hit the windshield.

                    EVERY TIME I drive a different vehicle, I have to learn, or re-learn, the different feel of the braking system.

                    Same as when I got the Prius.

                    Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
                  • Ryan Weathers
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                      I never thought a about it but I was told the compressor doesn't have to work as hard if recirculate is on and is more efficient.

                      Ryan Weathers

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                        On May 25, 2013, at 11:16 PM, Ryan Weathers <weathersinc@...> wrote:

                        > I never thought a about it but I was told the compressor doesn't have to work as hard if recirculate is on and is more efficient.

                        If its 80°F inside your car and hotter outside then recirculate is working with the cooler air inside, and the compressor will run less.

                        If its 140°F inside the car and only 100°F outside then recirculate will work the compressor more.

                        However in my example I want the compressor OFF. Quite often I simply want outside air, no heating, no cooling, and no loud windows rolled down.

                      • Burt Trattner
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                          Only slightly related but might help explain.
                          My girlfriend in the front passenger seat must keep eyes the road. If
                          she tries to read or looks in her purse for example, she gets cars sick.
                          Yet when she drives she NEVER gets car sick. Something inner ear
                          balanceperhaps?

                          Try sitting as a passenger and take a very long drive. No symptoms?
                          Then might be related to balance and the inner ear!????

                          Burt 2011

                        • Burt Trattner
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 25, 2013
                            Phyl,

                            Don't tell Ralph Nader. He would start a class action suit against Toyota.

                            Then Obama and the regulators will squeeze money out of Toyota too.
                            (Like the stuck pedal fiasco.)
                            Obama and the agencies pushed Toyota thru hoops slowing their hot sales
                            with purposeful bad publicity, so that theGM bailout with smaller cars
                            had time to ramp up production and marketing.

                            "Good government should be small and funny!

                            Burt 2011

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                              On May 25, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Mark Schonfeld <mark79ga@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks very much Kevin - that makes sense, I'll give it a try. The windshield *is* a bit like sitting too close to an IMAX screen, so hopefully adjusting the 'aspect ratio' will help. I drove the same car for 10 yrs prior, so my hope is that this is just my brain/eyes adjusting.

                              You are not supposed to be looking at the windshield, but through it. Just as you are not supposed to be looking at your fenders but much farther down the road when driving. Prius doesn't have a visible hood/fender which disturbs some.

                              After driving my SUV for a week I noticed how close the windshield of my 6 year old Prius when entering. Forgot about it by the end of the driveway.

                              Years ago a friend knocked the front fender off his dirtbike out in the woods. It was sad-funny when suddenly he couldn't hardly ride without hitting trees. Without the fender he lost a visual reference he was used to. I was on the same model motorcycle and almost never see my front fender and I am taller than he. Only see it when I hit something and fly over the handlebars.

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                On May 25, 2013, at 11:50 PM, Burt Trattner <btrattner@...> wrote:

                                > Only slightly related but might help explain.
                                > My girlfriend in the front passenger seat must keep eyes the road. If
                                > she tries to read or looks in her purse for example, she gets cars sick.
                                > Yet when she drives she NEVER gets car sick. Something inner ear
                                > balanceperhaps?

                                I am like that, but every time a doctor has tested my balance I have scored exceptionally well. Perhaps that is the problem? Inner ear balance works too well? The most recent test involved standing on a gel pillow while blindfolded.

                                Dirty windows can make me motion sick when driving. The effect is worse as a passenger. Even worse in the back seat. Dirty windows moving across my vision differently than the distant items I am focused on.

                                The inside rear view mirror is a similar problem. When focused on something to the side and the rear view mirror pans through the view I often experience a wave of nausea. For example: when driving slow through a neighborhood looking at houses. Found motorcycle is best for such excursions.

                                I can get motion sick in a few minutes. The worst can pass in a few minutes but the effect lingers for weeks.

                              • docaaron1
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                  As a person who gets motion sickness in small planes or small boats or even the kiddy roller coaster, I don't get it when driving in my first generation Prius or my wife's second generation Prius.

                                  I remember some people complained of motion sickness when the Prius first came out. I believe it had to do with the electric steering being very sensitive and people were over steering left and right. I believe the suggested cure was to look farther down the road and keep a light touch on the steering wheel.

                                  Check your cabin air filter to see if it is blocked. An accumulation of bugs or critters could be there. Can't hurt to inspect it and/or change it.

                                  I do notice when I'm a passenger in my wife's '09 Prius the rear view mirror image causes some dizziness. I'm not sure why but the view out the front window together the view from the rear view mirror causes motion sickness in me. This mainly happens on the highway especially when cars are on the left side of us. When I'm a passenger in other cars, I don't notice the rear view mirror image as we drive. The rear view mirror in the 2ng generation Prius appears to be more in the passenger's view. The fix for me is to avoid looking at the rear view mirror while in the Prius passenger seat.

                                  If you find yourself focusing on the windshield and not the road ahead you may be nearsighted. Aside from cleaning the windshield, have your eyes checked or your prescription glasses updated. I'm nearsighted and need glasses for driving. If I take them off while driving, the windshield zooms into focus as the cars on the road blur.

                                  Aaron
                                  '02 Prius
                                  138K miles
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                    On May 26, 2013, at 10:32 AM, "docaaron1" <docaaron1@...> wrote:

                                    > I remember some people complained of motion sickness when the Prius first came out. I believe it had to do with the electric steering being very sensitive and people were over steering left and right. I believe the suggested cure was to look farther down the road and keep a light touch on the steering wheel.

                                    Yes. But its not because the steering is electric power assisted, its because the car has a quick steering ratio. Small input makes big changes.

                                    And I agree, many people over control. Make too many adjustments when steering. Too many adjustments to the accelerator. Too many adjustments to the brakes. If you get better MPG on cruise control then you are likely an over controller.

                                  • Phyllis Tougas
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                      I had my windshield on my 2005 replaced, and had to have it done again, as the non-toyota one has a flaw in its design, and gave me vertigo every time i looked to the left. The second one they brought had was the same. The glass company replaced it with an original equipment one, and it is so much better. Maybe that is the problem.
                                      Phyllis Tougas

                                      Sent from my iPad
                                    • Michael Jozwiak
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 26, 2013
                                        I loved riding in my 2004 Prius in a 2010 trip to St. Louis and in my 2010 Prius in a 2012 trip to Phoenix. It was only hair-raising when my brother-in-law would tailgate other vehicles in Oklahoma at 78 MPH or in west Texas at 88 MPH.

                                        Michael J.
                                        Houston
                                        2010 Prius

                                        Sent from my iPhone