Thinking of New Prius Purchase

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2013
      Hello, Droup! Now that our 2003 Prius is over 10 years old (purchased
      in December 2002), we are shopping again. Ours is still good and I love
      the Classic style (it's perfect for the two of us), but we want to be
      ready when we buy.

      Are the warranties on the new Prii still as they were 10 years ago:
      100,000 miles or 8 years? Also, what about the extended warranty "after
      3 yrs or 36,000 miles"? Is Troy still online for the Platinum Plan
      that's priced somewhat better than most dealer plans?

      It's been so long since we went through the purchase process that I have
      forgotten much. Any advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
      (Also, I shall search the archives, but current information may be a bit
      different.)

      Thanks a bunch!

      Betty in Texas (btxusa)
      2003 Super White Classic Prius, 65,000+ wonderful miles!
      http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2013
        On May 22, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Betty <bhamilt@...> wrote:

        > Are the warranties on the new Prii still as they were 10 years ago:
        > 100,000 miles or 8 years? Also, what about the extended warranty "after
        > 3 yrs or 36,000 miles"? Is Troy still online for the Platinum Plan
        > that's priced somewhat better than most dealer plans?

        The 100k/8 year warranty is only on emissions related systems. Oddly the traction battery is considered part of the emissions system. In some states such as Kalifornia the emissions warranty is 150k/10 years.

        Years ago the genuine Toyota full coverage 100k/8 year warranty was about $1600 MSRP. Many dealers would gladly take $1000 to $1100 via phone for exactly the same genuine Toyota warranty. Be aware the warranty can be sized to fit, IIRC 8 or 9 years and 100k miles was the max.

        Suggest you search with Google (or whatever) and find what offers are currently available. Then when/if you buy a new Prius (or whatever) that in the negotiating phase you let them quote a price on the extended warranty. If they want $1600 just politely state, "I have 3 years to make up my mind. Its $1000 on the internet. I'll pay $1000 now, or wait."

        Bought mine a couple of months short of 36.

        The Toyota warranty is a screaming good deal. To extend my Mercedes-Benz's 50k/48 month warranty to 75k/84 months cost $3300. The car only cost twice what my Prius cost.

      • Betty
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2013

          > The Toyota warranty is a screaming good deal. To extend my
          > Mercedes-Benz's 50k/48 month warranty to 75k/84 months cost $3300. The
          > car only cost twice what my Prius cost.
          >
          > --
          > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@... <mailto:dkelly%40HiWAAY.net>
          > Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

          Thanks, David. Good information.