New Prius Owner

  • HeNateMe
    Message 1 of 48 , May 21, 2013
      Hey y'all!

      I just purchased my first Toyota two days ago - a 2013 Prius Two. And I love it! Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Oh, and BTW, last night I averaged 88.3 mpg on a ten minute errand. Yippeee!

      henateme
      Message 48 of 48 , May 21, 2013
        On May 21, 2013, at 7:58 PM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM, HeNateMe <henateme@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I just purchased my first Toyota two days ago - a 2013 Prius Two. And I
        >> love it! Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Oh, and BTW, last night I
        >> averaged 88.3 mpg on a ten minute errand. Yippeee!
        >
        > Welcome, and never mind... reality will return soon, but you'll still love
        > the car!

        Its called a Fool Computer for good reason.

        My all time record was 92 MPG for 6 miles home from a gas station without even trying. Didn't happen to glance at the Fool Computer until I was pulling in the driveway. Sometimes the Prius finds extraordinary energy sources for brief stretches. And sometimes not. When my Prius was fairly new I once drove about an hour on 45 MPH road and was hoping for better than the 50 MPG to 55 MPG that was showing on the 5 minute histogram. But what I couldn't explain was the occasional 35 MPG 5 minute segments.

        Keep a written logbook, or perhaps use one of the smartphone apps to keep record of all fuel purchases and maintenance events. If need be to trade your car then such a written record will go a long way toward impressing the next owner.

        Keep a calculator with your logbook and calculate MPG based on odometer and gas pump. The numbers won't be quite as good as the Fool Computer's claims, but on a Prius its close. Expect on average to be 2 MPG lower, rarely will it be higher, sometimes it will be 4 MPG lower, all because its hard to fill the tank the same way every time. Its harder on the older Prii with bladder gas tanks.

        My 2007 took 10,000 miles before it would regularly best 50 MPG. Have never owned a new vehicle since 1978 which demonstrated such an obvious break-in but it went from 45 MPG to consistent 50-55 MPG (on the Fool Computer display) on the same commute.