Re: [toyota-prius] Question about 2006 Prius Key

  • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
    Message 1 of 28 , May 21 11:44 AM
      SInce our dealer has dealt with us for a number of years, it's possible we might get some compassion on the key pricing. We only bought one of the 3 toyotas there, but they've done  most of the servicing for all 3....

       David and Jodi
      N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
      W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

    • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
      Message 2 of 28 , May 21 11:45 AM
        Tnx! I'll check that out....

         David and Jodi
        N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
        W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

        >________________________________

      • Larry Finch
        Message 3 of 28 , May 21 11:56 AM
          On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <
          davidandjodi@...> wrote:

          > I'm not clear what a NHW11 key is. Our 2007 Prius is a Touring with all
          > possible factory options .

          NHW11 is the 2001-2003 model. It has no relevance to your car. I don't know
          why it was even mentioned.

          best regards,
          Larry

          --
          Larry Finch

          N 40° 53' 47"
          W 74° 03' 56"

          Message 4 of 28 , May 22 10:28 AM
            On May 21, 2013, at 12:07 AM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

            > lazer-cutting the special door key another $100 (Pop a Lock did that for $50 if we went to their place...

            Had to special order it and took from perhaps a Thursday to a Monday or Tuesday to arrive but Mercedes-Benz cut a new mechanical key for my Smart Key (they call it KEYLESS GO, in capitals, and badly need to hire new people for naming things) for under $25. At the dealer.

            I believe Mercedes-Benz and Toyota get their smart key systems from the same vendor. Hand in the door handle, and little black button operation is identical. Right down to a sequence of button presses on the key to toggle behavior of driver's door from driver-only to all-doors. The difference is Toyota defaults to driver's door only and Mercedes-Benz defaults to all doors. Oh, and Mercedes-Benz documents the procedure in the owner's manual and Toyota does not.

            Message 5 of 28 , May 22 10:34 AM
              I believe the 2nd gen doesn't need a laser cutter, but the Camry Hybrid and the 3rd gen Prius does need that

              Ziad Al-Fawadleh

            • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
              Message 6 of 28 , May 31 2:17 PM
                I mentioned a few days ago the loss of our Prius key and the price of replacement. Some folks pooh-poohed the 600$ price I mentioned.

                The attached clipping is from page 55 of the latest (July) issue of Consumer Reports

                David Thomas
                (31.06710N)
                (97.38357W)

              • Levi Smith
                Message 7 of 28 , May 31 5:45 PM
                  I think your attachment got stripped. I'd say $600 may not be out of line
                  for what a lot of dealers charge, but I'd say it's a lot more than I paid.

                  On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <
                  davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I mentioned a few days ago the loss of our Prius key and the price of
                  > replacement. Some folks pooh-poohed the 600$ price I mentioned.
                  >
                  > The attached clipping is from page 55 of the latest (July) issue of
                  > Consumer Reports
                  >

                  > David Thomas
                  > (31.06710N)
                  > (97.38357W)

                • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 31 8:14 PM
                    I see now that "Pruis Chat" strips non-text attachments!

                    Here's the text scanned from July Consumer Reports p. 55:
                     [A Consumer ] reports electronics engineer
                    found that out
                    the hard way. While at the beach, he forgot that the key to his Toyota Prius was in his pocket, went
                    for a dip in the surf, and never saw the key again. The cost of a replacement: $600.
                    Like many new cars, his Prius uses a proximity key that electronically unlocks the car when you touch the door handle and lets
                    you start it by pressing a button on
                    the dash. But even less sophisticated keys
                    don't come cheap.
                    Most ignition keys now have a tran

                    But I sure would like to buy one for something more like what you paid!­

                    David and Jodi
                    N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                    W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                    >________________________________

                  • Levi Smith
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 1, 2013
                      I paid about $200 for a new key. I see at least one on Ebay for $162 at
                      the moment.

                      Dealer charged me about $50 for programming.

                      But that's for a good dealer. I called around to about 10 of the closest
                      dealers and they were the ONLY ones that gave me a good feeling about
                      answering the phone, knowing what they were talking about and offering
                      reasonable pricing. (though it was still cheaper to buy the key online and
                      take it to them). Just make sure if you buy the key elsewhere it's brand
                      new and the dealership knows what's going on.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 1, 2013
                        On May 31, 2013, at 10:14 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                        > Here's the text scanned from July Consumer Reports p. 55:
                        > [A Consumer ] reports electronics engineer found that out the hard way. While at the beach, he forgot that the key to his Toyota Prius was in his pocket, went for a dip in the surf, and never saw the key again. The cost of a replacement: $600.

                        The lesson here is that if you are vacationing at the beach dealers know they have a sucker on the line.

                        When traveling with others I always give a spare key to someone I am traveling with. Doesn't matter if expensive smart key or conventional mechanical key.